What sort of press ?

This little press followed me home from the auction today ..

I hadn't seen anything like it before, but it seems to combine the action of a flypress (the flywheels can make about 3/4 of a turn) with the size of an arbor press (that's a 24" rule beside it).

Can anyone identify it please ?

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

scruffybugger

Common on small parts assembly lines. I'm tempted to say its a "Hare" press, but something in the back of my mind niggles that its a different name.

Reply to
Nospam

Toggle press ebay Item number: 200030120700 I expect the name will come to me at around 3 am !!!

Reply to
Nospam

Smart and brown

Nospam

And a better picture at G&M (thanks for the hint, Scruff ..)

There's a table of sizes at the bottom of that picture - mine's somewhat bigger (e.g. workbase 6x10", height 23", throat 3 1/2") but looks otherwise identical.

Thanks - I will watch the ebay one with interest !

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

I don't think it's a hare press, I just sold 2 of these and gave another 2 away. The hare is a pneumatically (or lately hydro-pneumatic) operated toggle press, although this one could easily have been an early fore-runner!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

It`s a very scruffy Smart & Brown toggle press and it`s missing the linkage to withdraw the crankshaft lock.Was in a place last week that had 46 of these on benches,all as new and not worth =A32 each.They went in a container to Thailand along with all the other junk. A Hare press is hydraulically powered and come in 5,7.5,10,15 and possibly even 20 ton versions. These little toggle presses have limited capabilities. Mark.

Reply to
mark

It`s a very scruffy Smart & Brown toggle press and it`s missing the linkage to withdraw the crankshaft lock.Was in a place last week that had 46 of these on benches,all as new and not worth £2 each.They went in a container to Thailand along with all the other junk. A Hare press is hydraulically powered and come in 5,7.5,10,15 and possibly even 20 ton versions. These little toggle presses have limited capabilities. Mark.

Reply to
Nospam

No worries, I paid much closer to ?2 than G&M's ?185 !

How does the crankshaft lock work ? I noticed some mounting points on the left hand side of the column : would that be where it goes ?

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Nospam,they are of to Thailand to make products for an English owned company which will then send the parts back to UK.I won`t tell you what the parts are,but there will be very few of us who don`t have at least one and possibly five or six in their house.This company has already shut it`s own factory in the South of England and moved the plant offshore and now it`s doing it with the assetts of another company it bought out of receivership. Anyway the bits missing are the linkages for withdrawing the lock pin from the flywheel rim.This holds the slide back out of the way while you place whatever parts you are working on under the slide.The linkage is normally a handle mounted on the bench at whatever side suits the operator,the press handle can be fixed to either flywheel depending upon whether the operator is left or right handed.The linkage can also be a foot pedal mounted under the bench or it can be linked to a pull down guard. Mark

mark

Idly I spent about 15 minutes comparing the different pictures I could find, trying to identify the missing part. I can't. Please enlighten us!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy