Whistles??

--Ok here's the thing I want to make an "octave" of whistles that I can play, using solenoid valves and a program written for the Basic Stamp. I've got one three-chimer I could clone but that would be an incredible pain. I'm searching for whistle designs that are reeeeally basic, but tune-able; i.e. something like the kind that uses a central threaded rod to move the "bell" up and down. Searching the web I've found a grand total of

*one* whistle that can be made easily and quickly but it's not that kind of whistle (but could it be converted?); the link's on another machine and doesn't spring to mind, will post it when found. --Bottom line: any links to drawings in ME or anywhere else would be appreciated.
Reply to
steamer

I'm sure there was a design in model engineer for a steam "organ". probably in the 50's, one of the series that LBSC did as "something for the kiddies" at christmas. Someone, somewhere, will probably have a copy.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Think 'Swanee whistle'!

An open tube ( i.e. an 'unstopped' whistle ) give a certain note. If you block the end of the tube ( 'stop' it ) you'll lower the note an octave. By moving the stopper up and down in the tube you can vary the note produced. Thing is though, you need to watch out for the Swanee effect....if the piston is move while the whistle is in use you'll get the dreaded 'Panto' or "Carry-On" slide.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Strange indeed. I read the very article this morning; the magazine is still on my bedside table...

[FX: running up and down stairs]

"A steam calliopette" by LBSC. Model Engineer Vol. 107, No. 2682 Oct

16 1952 pp.512-515.

Will scan and PDF for OP if required.

Reply to
John Montrose

--Thanks; will search the garage for that issue this morning. Oh, and here's a link to a photo I posted to tribe.net last night:

steamer

You seem to be contemplating an electrically controlled fairground organ. An organ pipe is like a whistle. Chruch organ pipes are made of soft metal and are tuned (in the open topped form) by making them a little longer than required. At the back of the pipe near the top, out of sight, is a tab cut out on three sides (top and the two sides). You can then bend the tab (almost like rolling it up or back) to change the note until it's right - unroll a bit for a longer effective length and go lower, roll up a bit more for higher. Is this basic enough?

Wilfrid Underwood

Reply to
tenacitygoogle

--Gotcha; know about pipe organs and have seen how the pipes are made, but I think they'd be a wee bit big for what I've in mind, plus making them out of a lead alloy assures an early meltdown! :-) --Have been going the downloadable database of ME and managed to find an article from the mid-sixties that has an article on whistle making there's another article from the year 1959 but I'm missing that yr.

Reply to
steamer