Wicksteed power hacksaw

Just realised I made a mistake here. My hacksaw cuts on the return stroke and lifts on the forward stroke. Not sure why I remembered wrong, but I thought I'd correct myself, even if it's a month or so late.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I've just replied to another chap with a mechanical saw. My Wicksteed cuts on the push stroke. On the return stroke the blade is lifted by the hydraulics, trying to make it cut on the return would fail. As far as I can remember the saws in the metalwork classroom (when I was as school) all cut on the push. (could have memory failure though)

Thanks for the reply though.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I did a little video clip on my phone of it sawing through a chunk of channel section.

It sounds like the big-end is knocking on the video, it must be a perculiarity of the phone microphone because it doesn't sound half as bad in the flesh. It's in top speed, the blade has become a little blunt now because I've done dozens of cuts with it.

One of our collies comes to have a look towards the end - apologies!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

On or around Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:40:35 -0000, "Julian" enlightened us thusly:

that's an impressively crappy quality video, gotta say :)

Saw's going well though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I especially crapified it just for you! It's done with a £60 mobile phone from Argos, and a lens that gets covered in dust from my overalls pocket. :-)

Yes it's not bad at all, essentially saved from the tip - what a wasteful society we live in today. I bet a small workshop in Pakistan or India would be absolutely delighted to own a machine like this and use it everyday....

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

On or around Wed, 25 Mar 2009 06:01:03 -0000, "Julian" enlightened us thusly:

yeah. I'd have one but it'd hardly get used, really, as I don't do much of that kind of cutting. Plasma cutter is the next thing on my list, when I can find a cheap one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The funny thing is, I thought the same. But when I was working on my saw, I noticed that the blade cuts on the draw stroke. So I checked the manual in case I'd put the blade in the wrong way round, and no, the manual confirms that it should cut on the draw stroke.

So it seems there's variation between manufacturers.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Mine makes the same knocking noise. I eventually tracked the noise down to the slight lift which is given by the hydraulics once per cycle (during the "push" stroke on a Qualters & Smith, or the "draw" stroke on the Wicksteed, it would seem). I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

replying to Julian, robert wrote: Hi Julian, I have both a wicksteed power hacksaw like yours, do you know what the button dose when it is push in on the front of the saw. Thanks Robert

Reply to
robert

replying to Julian, bertie wrote: Hi, Julian, I have a saw the same as yours, can you send some pictures of the ram that lifts the saw, I think there is something missing on mine. Regards

Reply to
bertie

replying to Julian, bertie mcclelland wrote: Hi, Have a 14" wicksteed, can you tell me how the coolant piston works on them, i want to fix mine. thanks

Reply to
bertie mcclelland