Wicksteed power hacksaw

I modified the pushrod to incorporate a spring link:
http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/Julian100_01/?action=view&current=Img0296.jpg
It seems to work fine now. When the pump is priming itself the spring hardly deflects and full piston travel ensures rapid priming. When coolant reaches the delivery NRV at the top of the pipe pressure rises and the spring deflects by about 1cm thus reducing piston stroke. Now I get a good coolant flow and the little cups don't overflow.
When I'm happy with the design I'll probably loose that cheap galv Screwfix threaded bar and use something that makes it look a little less codged together!
I'd still love to take a look at the genuine Wicksteed arrangement though - maybe I've improved upon the design?
Julian.
Julian wrote:

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/Julian100_01/?action=view&current=Img0296.jpg
It looks like you've come up with a perfectly functional solution. Just one more thought, though: is there any chance there was a porous element of some kind in the top cup, maybe a sponge or a mass of metal wool or something, to smooth out the flow?
Best wishes,
Chris

The flow is smooth now, (well enough as makes no odds) I'll see if I can do a little video of it working this weekend if I find a minute.
Julian.

I would suggest skimming the tramp oil off the top of the suds in there before too long.
regards Mark Rand RTFM

Dare I ask why? I thought it made the surface of the coolant look rather pretty :-)
Julian.
Julian wrote:

Are they just holes, or do the openings go through to a reservoir? My saw has a hollow bowslide which forms a reservoir holding a couple of pints of oil. I didn't discover the reservoir until I got a manual. Probably the Wicksteed is different, but it's just a thought.
Chris

You could well be correct, the thought hadn't occurred, I'll have a good look, cheers.
Julian.
replying to Julian, robert wrote: Hi Julian, I have both a wicksteed power hacksaw like yours, do you know what the button dose when it is push in on the front of the saw. Thanks Robert
Julian wrote:

Incidentally, the two-speed 1 3/4 hp motor on my saw is even bigger than that. It's all relative :-).
Chris
replying to Julian, bertie wrote: Hi, Julian, I have a saw the same as yours, can you send some pictures of the ram that lifts the saw, I think there is something missing on mine. Regards
replying to Julian, bertie mcclelland wrote: Hi, Have a 14" wicksteed, can you tell me how the coolant piston works on them, i want to fix mine. thanks