Workholding

I've got one of those ubiquitous devices that support a couple of crocodile clips and a magnifier on universal joints. It's almost completely useless : the joints are too sloppy when tightened, unmanageable when loosened, and the croc clips don't open wide enough to hold anything.

I can't help feeling that these devices were modelled on some far superior version - perhaps some sort of jeweller's vice - and have slowly been cheapened until they no longer fulfil their original purpose.

Anyway, I want to make (or even buy) a proper version : stereo microscope instead of plastic lens, easy-to-operate joints (maybe based on those single-point-clamp DTI holders) and a selection of jaws to hold various objects.

Has anyone got any ideas ? Or seen a commercial one that does a really good job ?

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

I'm sure have seen ones in the past where the clamps are on the end of flexibile gooseneck arms. Unfortunately a quick google search only finds ones with either a lamp or a magnifying glass on the end of a gooseneck.

Maybe you could get a couple of these. e.g. part CMG3X on

replace the ends with a suitable clamp?

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Rae

Maybe something like that, though goosenecks always seem to have a bit of spring in them - I'd prefer something that could be moved to position than clamped with a single movement, like the snake-type base here :

Though the magnetic base would be superfluous - I'd rather screw it direct to the microscope base.

There's also the workholding clamps to consider .. maybe two pairs of padded fingers on a parallel-closing slide ? Or something like a retort clamp, though they tend to misalign the work easily.

I'm surprised there isn't something like this in existence already - don't enamellers and miniature-painters need this sort of vice for delicate jobs ?

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Have a look at the GRS Benchmate Solder Fingers and Microscope at

They are designed for professional jewellers and engravers.

Reply to
lemel_man