Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Voltage loss question
Curious if I need to worry about voltage loss or whatever its called when I put power into the new shed/workshop. Situated about 30 metres from the house. No immediate plans to have any machinery in...
33
33

Whats that Hotmelt stuff called?
That's used to coat taps, reamers and milling cutters? I can't find the thread now and I'ver forgotten the vendor's name so can't Google!! Steve
2
2

HSS vs Carbide.
HSS is much tougher than carbide, and takes a significantly better edge. So why doesn't everyone use it all the time? Because carbide is harder, and so wears better. HSS goes blunt quicker. Also,...

Which indexable lathe tools to get?
Any recommendations for indexable lathe tools to use on my Super C3 mini lathe? It's different to choosing drills because the cutting parts are replaceable, so I think it makes more sense to get good...
20
20

Solvent for expanding foam
I'm contemplating using an expanding foam to add some rigidity to a thin walled cylinder whilst giving a finishing cut. This is the sort of stuff: if I try this (which is either highly innovative...
38
38

Flexible 'snake' arm
Does anyone know where I can buy some of the flexible rod, such as that used as arms on 'snake' lights, please? An example light is at the eBay link below. I just need the arm, and that on lights such...
7
7

Clamping long tall stuff
I want to mill a hole in a block about 1" by 6" by 18", in the 1" by 18" end. So I have to mount it on the mill so it's standing up, so to speak. Any tips on doing this? I have the usual clamps, but I...
9
9

Midlands Model Engineering exhibition
Is anybody planning to go this year? I've got Friday booked as holiday, but am debating whether to go on Friday or Saturday. Mark Rand RTFM
9
9

Fleck & Co.
Hi, Perhaps a bit OT, but are there any - most likely continental - members here having a pre-war lathe by Fleck & Co, Siemensstadt-Berlin? Best regards, Dirk

memory jog
Somewhere on the internet I once spent an afternoon browsing a site with many (many!) ME projects, both model and workshop. The designs were mainly for ME magazine, and the site offerred castings and...
1
1

Which set of Drills for my first Lathe?
With a bit of luck I should have my first lathe in a few weeks, a Super C3 Mini Lathe! I want a good set of 1 to 10mm jobber drills to use with it and I've been told it's worth looking at Dormer as...
22
22

Keyless chucks?
For general use I have found one of the cheap RDG 1-10mm keyless chucks very adequate and when new I tested and saw a runout of chuck + arbor + machine (old Meddings M2) was around 3 thou TIR. For...
6
6

Steel Tube Supplier
Can anyone suggest a supplier of a small quantity of seamless steel tube, prefereably somewhere in southern/easterm GB. Something like 1-1/8OD 12swg as little at a couple of feet would be adequate....
6
6

Cone angle for railway wheels?
If we were to make our own wheels, how important would it be for the cone angle to be 3 degrees, and for the flange angle to be 10 degrees? Could we have, say, 4 degrees and 11 degrees? (Because...
12
12

ADCOCK and SHIPLEY 1ES GEARBOX OIL
Hello this is my first post here. I have recently bought an old adcock shipley 1ES horizontal milling machine and refurbished it. I want to know what oil is required for the gear box as the machine...
1
1