Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

How is the keyway of a Yale lock created?
Couldn't find anything on Google, so does anybody know how the keyway in the cylinder of a typical Yale-type lock is made?
6
6

5-A mods
--Trouble with the Stuart 5-A is that it's a scale model of a real engine; this means that if you use one to get actual 'work' done it can be hard to maintain with non-scale fingers! I've been using a...

Almost Finished - Stuart Victoria
Almost two years since I started this! Anyway its getting tantalisingly close now. So thanks for the help and advice. One name to add the credits above the usual suspects is Charles Ping for letting...
3
3

Bridgeport
What are the main points to look out for when buying a 1966 series one Thanks Mike
5
5

Countersinking large holes
I need to countersink two holes, 10mm hole and 20mm countersink diameter, in unhardened flat stock. Buying a HSS 20mm countersink seems to cost £20 or more, so does anyone have one I could borrow for...
8
8

Anyone want a pedal-powered canoe (in the UK)?
Hi folks, When I was a teenager I built a pedal-powered canoe. It's made out of plywood without any curves, sealed by mastic in screwed-down joints, and has parts of a child's bike as the propulsion...
4
4

Taps + Dies + Threads
Trying to do a very simple job. I have threaded a length of brass tubing with an HSS 1/4 x 40tpi die. I have two bags of nuts one from supplier A and one form supplier B. Nuts "A" perfect. Nuts "B"...
3
3

Calculating the tensile strength of an M3 brass thread
I'm planning to make a "watch-key" tuner for a replica 1770s "guitarr". The principle is simply that the strings are attached to a hook which is part of a brass nut on a captive screw; the strings are...
10
10

Fully threaded cap screws
Can anyone suggest a source of fully threaded cap screws in M3*60 (say), or equivalent imperial. (ref earlier question in "watch key tuner" thread) Dave

Elliott 14s shaper
Anyone know the weight and footprint of an Elliott 14s shaper? TIA AWEM
11
11

Fun with Grub Screws
The engine I'm building requires some short 7BA grub screws only around 6 or 7 threads. All I could find from the usual suppliers were 1/4 inch which are far too long. I've managed to cut them down...
3
3

The best free 2D CAD?
This topic crops up every so often but so does what's on offer. So what's the best currently available 2D CAD package that is downloadable? Suggestions welcomed Charles
5
5

A van der Graaf machine with real welly
I want to build a van der Graaf machine with real welly. Not for any criminal purpose I assure you. I want it to be a portable machine, run off 12 volt batteries. I want to use a generated voltage to...
5
5

Denford Starturn4, how do I remove the chuck?
A friend has purchased a Denford Starturn4 lathe, but we cannot figure out how the 3-jaw chuck is attached. Can anybody help please?
2
2

How much would I have to pay -
For a set of ME taps and dies? Alan