Fun with Grub Screws

The engine I'm building requires some short 7BA grub screws only around 6 or 7 threads. All I could find from the usual suppliers were 1/4 inch which
are far too long. I've managed to cut them down reliably by using a single nut as a clamp - you run the grub screw into the nut to the right length then put the nut in a vice until it clamps the screw tight (using lock nuts consume too much length). Then the excess can be sawn off and filed to shape. QED! If you over tighten the vice it becomes very difficult to retrieve the screw from the nut afterwards though.
However, I'd much rather buy them ready made!
Steve

Split the nut first, that way it still grips without having to act like Mad Mountain Dean.
John S.

Split the nut first, that way it still grips without having to act like Mad Mountain Dean.
John S.
Split the nut! I can hardly see the buggers :) - good to hear from you, the groups been missing the humour!
I've now successfully made two pairs of bevel gears using the "parallel depth method" as you suggested and got all the sums into excel as a design aid, so thanks for that.
Steve
On 18/09/2010 13:58, Steve wrote:

Who is/was Mad Mountain Dean? Do you mean this guy?
http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/m/man-mountain-dean.html