Big globe in perspex?

Does anyone know where I can get an eight or ten foot diameter hollow perspex globe?

$10k's available, but not $100k's ..

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Wall thickness would certainly matter too, as it has to be strong enough to support itself.

I could imagine casting it in mold. I'm just not sure what to suggest as a mold. Large balloons?

Alternatively, this would be the ultimate rotomolding project!

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

state that they can form 7x13 feet sizes.

If they can form two 8 feet diameter hemispheres, they can surely glue or weld them together into a globe. But, having to build mold (plywood should be OK) may be costly. The desired optical quality of the formed parts may have very substantial effect on mold and production costs.

You should be able to find other manufacturers in Google; I searched "vacuum forming acrylic", and got lots of hits.

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie

You might try an inquiry to Lucite International who makes Perspex:

one of their tech service people in the UK would know. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Haven't dared ask the cost yet, and I suppose acrylic isn't perspex, but I found

Peter Fairbrother

Perspex is tradename for Poly(Methyl MethAcrylate), PMMA, commonly called acrylic; see

shows one of the many uses of PMMA.

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie

Perspex is a trade name for acrylic. It was ICI's but now belongs to Lucite International as does the Lucite acrylic sheet trademark. You could thermoform sections, maybe even hemispheres, and glue together. Acrylic spas/hot tubs are made by thermoforming sheets. I don't know how large commercial sheets are but there should be no size limitation in what could be made. With matched molds you could cast resin in place.

Frank

Reply to
Frank