Ansys capabilities vs Mechanica

Hi,

I'm currently using Mechanica and I'm thinking about buying Ansys for using with Pro/Engineer.

Can someone tell me if it's possible to compute large deformations analysis with Ansys (I think Yes) and what version should I choose for this ?

For example, I offently simulate plastic tanks that are thins and Mechanica can't simulate large deformations with shell elements so I must mesh the tanks with solid elements and it makes a very big meshing. Can Ansys simulate large def. with shell elements ? (How Ansys handle this ?)

So, where could I find informations about this subject ? (I'm also interrested in composite materials and contact analysis, this will be for the next time).

Thanks, GB

Reply to
g. bon

Yes. ANSYS indeed supports large deflections and deformations. It is an excellent tool for making non-linear FEA runs. I'm running Version 10.0 at the moment and would recommend it.

Yes. I sometimes bring Pro|E mid-surface model geometry into ANSYS and assign a real constant value for the part's material thickness through the use of an input/command stream file(ASCII text). But you can do this same thing from the GUI in ANSYS as well.

Since contact analysis is always considered non-linear, ANSYS can indeed handle this type of contact physics. You can set it up to be bonded contact, frictionless, rough, etc. All of the options that you would ever be interested in are supported. You can assign coefficient of friction values too.

I would recommend that you contact ANSYS Inc. themselves are an ANSYS VAR such as Mallett Technology. Mallett has offices in several major metropolitan cities in the U.S.

Good luck!

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

Thanks very much.

Do you know if this is also possible with shell elements ?

Thx

Reply to
g. bon

Yes it is.