Creating a Mass Properties Feature

I've run across several methods, most a variation of the same 'Setup>Mass Props' snapshot, for dynamically capturing mass properties in a solid model, and parametrically, communicating this information to a drawing. Most were partially sucessfully, at best, but, over time, spectacular failures.

I have a way around all the earlier failures. I'm using 'Analysis>Model Mass Props'. The trick is to go to the window at the bottom left. Instead of accepting the default 'Quick' selection, open the drop down and select 'Feature'. Accept the default name (MASS_PROP_1) or type in anything else. When you MMB, you'll notice a feature at the bottom of the model tree which shows your analysis feature.

This new feature, callled MASS_PROP_1, contains several parameters called, by default, MASS, SURFACE_AREA, VOLUME. And, these parameters contain those actual, live values and will update, automatically, whenever features are added or deleted or a feature changes enough to cause a model regen. To be completely certain that it updates, RMB "Move to Footer"

Because this is a feature, not those dumb records from 'Edit>Setup', the parameters associated are real, live. And they may be used in drawing notes in the form of &MASS:FID_MASS_PROP_1. Or, instead of the feature name for the FID, use the actual numeric value of the Feature ID which you can see by setting up a Tree Column. If you place one of these features in your start part, you can even place a note on your formats in some table, in the form shown above, that will always show the current mass of a part or assembly.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

ss Props'. ...