force an angle dim

Hi all, I need to force an angle dim of 180 degrees on my drawing. It keeps giving me the .0000 linear dim. Any easy way of doing this? (without creating a ref dim in the model) Thanks

Reply to
spit boy
45 degrees, then edit it, either in the sketch or in the feature. If you are not trying to create impossible geometry, this should do it.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Thanks Dave, the geometry is too hairy for that, I remember way back in rel

17? or so, in sketcher there was a tricky way of forcing certain type of dimensions by holding down the shift key or whateva, i think it was one of those ptc secret codes. Anyway, I might be remembering something completely off base. It was a nice idea though! Thanks

Reply to
spit boy

Don't know 'bout dims, but ctrl and shift + RMB allows disabling or "pre accepting" constraints. Is the geometry so hairy that you can't start at 170 some odd degrees (almost anything other than colinear or parallel) and drive it to 180?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

A couple of things you can try, although neither of them are very elegant, is to sketched a datum curve in the model that is dimensioned in a manner so that the angular dimension value is 179.5 degrees. Then in the 2-D drawing you can 'Show' this dimension and change the Num Digits to '0'. This should give you a 180 degree dimension. You could also sketch a 'line' draft entity in the 2-D drawing at 179.5 degrees, relate it to the appropriate drawing view, and then dimension it and change the Num Digits to '0'.

I realize that these techniques aren't exactly what you would prefer to do, but sometimes you just have to rely on workarounds with many MCAD packages.

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.