Can Feature Names be linked to a Dim Value in that feature?

Hi All, Working with many ref geometry features, especially planes, is there any way to link a Feature Name to a Dim Value within that Feature? An example would be a plane defined at a distance of 10" from the Std Top Plane. Instead of seeing "Plane 1" for the name, can I set it to show " 10" "? I don't need the word 'plane' since the icon is there. My planes change constantly during the design process, and renaming hunderds of planes would take too long. Thanks for any help! Dan B in Ohio

Reply to
SolidBug

I don't believe a dimension can obtain it value via it's name. Maybe with a little VBA. Perhaps renaming the dimension name of the feature and linking it to equation would give you more control (mass update) over feature options.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Thanks Keith, I should clarify, I want to define the plane as I normally would. Using the same example...a parallel plane define above the Standard SW Top Plane by 10". The dim value is entered in the Feature Manager, and becomes Plane1 in the tree. Once completed, I'd like to rename the Plane1 in the tree to the value used to define the plane. In this case, 10, or 10". I know I can manually do this. However, I want it linked, since I have hundreds of planes, many of which will change their defined values durign the design process. There's just too much opportuntiy for human error with manual renaming. Thanks, Dan

Reply to
SolidBug

I assume when those "defined values" change, you want the names to change according to the new value? VBA may be the only solution.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Yes, I absolutely want the Feature Name value to change if I change the Feature Dimension Value, and your answer was my suspicion...Thanks.

Keith Streich wrote:

Reply to
SolidBug

You might have a problem if SW allowed this because all feature names must be unique. If two features were named by dimension and the dims happened to be the same there would be a problem. However, a macro feature might be able to rename a given feature.

Reply to
TOP

To prevent that specific problem, use the API topic "FeatureManager::IsNameUsed"

Reply to
JohanLingen