Good instruction books for newbies/interns @ BAE

Hello all, We have a bunch of new semi-worthless interns that need to know rudimentary Pro-E. Any suggestions on tutorials available on Amazon or elsewhere on-line? Thanks to all. Bob

Reply to
travelinbob

Well at least they're not totally worthless.

Anything by Roger Toogood, Amazon has a good selection of his stuff. Also SDC

has lots to offer.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

It's one thing to learn ProE but it's another to learn how to engineer a part, e.g. how to dimension a sketch to take account of the way the part is used and/or assembled. You'll have to actually convince them that the dimensions intent manager puts there are almost always not the ones you want.

Reply to
graminator

Hello all, We have a bunch of new semi-worthless interns that need to know rudimentary Pro-E. Any suggestions on tutorials available on Amazon or elsewhere on-line? Thanks to all. Bob

Don't be cheap, send them to school, the week-long intro course to Pro/e, offered at any community college, in any civilized place, in the country (America, US of). The problem with the cheap and dirty "solutions" is that they depend heavily, if not mainly, on the initiative, self-directedness, maturity of the people taking the courses to complete them on their own, to figure things out for themselves, to think critically and analytically, to have certain basic skills in troubleshooting modeling problems (or any mechanical, physical problems). And your newbies/interns are, by your own statement, lacking on most of these fronts. They need a structured learning environment, the help and support of an expert at teaching and modeling and, FINALLY, good learning material. But the best learning material is crap without the right learning environment. And, Bob, your contemptuous attitude your charges certainly tells me that, in your tender care, they might as well slit their own throats. Because if they don't do it, you seem to be more than willing. Possibly other posts here on help, tutorials, support might give a hint of further resources. Check the archives.

David Janes

BTW, Bob, before you get your back up that I don't know the deplorable state of engineering education or that graduating engineers know nothing practical or that they get computers, software and are told to design without knowing the first thing about the software, how to make things or even about design.... well, I WROTE that song 20 years ago, about the time we started, in a big way, shipping our manufacturig jobs abroad because American workers wanted wages and benefits and job security. IOW, to be on about 75% par with their Eruopean counterparts. Our workers were defeated, the jobs are gone, the "new semi-worthless intern" is the result, but don't take it out on them. As to the question, on whom to take out ones anger and contempt, study politics and history. Not much of that here though.

DJ

Reply to
David Janes

Spend the tiny investment and get them each one of the books from cadquest.com

I instructed for Steve for most of a year and honestly those books say what an instructor needs to say but better and more than can be lectured in a 5-day course. He covers design intent, sketcher intent mangler (manager), etc in a seriously useful manner.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

"to be on about 75% par with their European counterparts"

I think that's a bit cynical, as high Eurozone taxes & retail prices still give US citizens more buying power than most Europeans (except the Swiss, obviously, who are still living on Nazi gold & cuckoo clocks) - It's just the dollar is a bit soft at the moment.

Reply to
John Wade

"to be on about 75% par with their European counterparts"

I think that's a bit cynical, as high Eurozone taxes & retail prices still give US citizens more buying power than most Europeans (except the Swiss, obviously, who are still living on Nazi gold & cuckoo clocks) - It's just the dollar is a bit soft at the moment.

Raw buying power, sure. And they work 55 weeks of the year to get it. While Europeans, with slightly less consumer goods buying power, have health insurance, pensions, 6 weeks vacation per annum, etc. Less job stress, fewer per capita incarcerations, fewer murders and less craziness, more humanism, less fascism, more mass politically active parties, fewer teenage pregnancies and abortions. Please, there's no comparison. You're not finding the average European citizen (compared to the average Mexican one) flocking to get over here to enjoy all this wonderful "buying power". As most Europeans know, the trade off would not be equal. They'd need OTHER motivation, BIG monetary incentives. And, they're here, for a very select few.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes