LCD Monitors & Pro

Is anyone using a lcd monitor and running pro? Are there any resolution problems or image issues? Any recommendatioins would be appreciated I'm looking at a 21" w/ 1600 x 1200 resolution Thanks-

Reply to
CKERIDES

The biggest problem with big LCD's and 3D CAD is response time. Above 17", most LCD's have response times of 25ms. This causes alot of ghosting when manipulating objects. I found this out the hard way by buying two very expensive Samsung 21's. I ended up giving them to the electronics guys because no one on my side wanted them.

Viewsonic makes a 20.1" with a 16ms response time, VP201B. I just ordered one to try from Newegg. I should get it in tomorrow, I'll post back with my evaluation.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

What Mark said is correct and the brand/make he is suggesting is very good. I have the VX2000 and it has been very good, even though the 25ms response time is a pain, I've gotten use to it's ghosting but he's right, it is a factor if you don't like that - and you'll clearly notice it if you're picky? BTW, I really do not see what a 21" at 1600x1200 (the 20.1" are just as good or better, imho) is going to gain you unless you get as good or better than .255mm pixel pitch, contrast and response times? Or, if you can get more resolution out of the 21"? Well, at a cost!?

..

CKERIDES wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

"Viewsonic makes a 20.1" with a 16ms response time, VP201B. I just ordered one to try from Newegg. I should get it in tomorrow, I'll post back with my evaluation." Thanks- Eagerly awaiting your review... I read a review where the VP201B resolved the ghosting problem, but this was related to gaming not pro

Reply to
CKERIDES

We use IBM T860, 18.1 inch and no one is complaining. We have about 65 on Z-Pro's with Nvidia Quadro4 980XGL graphics cards running both UG and Pro/E.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

I am using a Dell 2001FP 20.1 monitor. Just a few days ago, by the way, Dell had them on sale for $689.20 with free shipping. It's got 20.1", 1600 x 1200 resolution, and 16ms response time. I am absolutely happy with it and am planning to buy one for home as well. This is by far the best monitor I've seen up to now.

Reply to
Alex Sh.

my setup: dell 5150 (1600x1200) and Iiyama proLite E430 (1280x1024)

wonderful!

color brilliance I think is good, better even than the dell, 1280x1024 is a bit small

wzzl

Reply to
none

BTW, for your reading pleasures... It looks like the Viewsonic VP201B, Dell 2001FP and BenQ FP2091 (and I'm sure some others) may use the same LG Philips 20.1" LM201U04

Paul Salvador

OK guys,

Just got it in and hooked it up........ no discernable ghosting,,, no dead pixels.

PNY 980XGL, 1600 x 1200 x 32bit, digital cable.

Looks real good to me, and I'm pretty picky, (ghosting gives me flashbacks to the 60's) ;>)

This monitor also has a USB hub built into it as well. Makes it real convieneint. The viewing area is exactly the same as the 21" CRT it replaces

Later

Mark

Reply to
MM

Doesn't really matter if it's 3D games or 3D CAD. In both cases you're moving shaded polygons around. In fact, all the monitor knows are pixels and how fast it can turn them on and off.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM