LCD v. CRT for SW

considering picking up a new monitor.. something bigger.. 19" maybe.. there are some nice looking (and affordable) LCD monitors out there.

friend of mine tells me that all the graphics guys work on CRTs.. that LCD's dont have the resolution.

is this right? anyone starring at SW through an LCD? how's it look? jagged lines? or nice?

-tony

Reply to
tony

Tony,

I bought a 21" Viewsonic LCD 2-1/2 years ago for $1950 and could not go back to CRT thereafter. 4 months ago, I was in COMPUSA and checked out the Samsung 21" 213T for $1090 after rebate. Awesome with no exageration. I had to have it. The warmth, depth and resolution are very impressive. I let my daughter use the Viewsonic. She now says "loan, what loan?" I am sure Viewsonic has improved their LCD's since my purchase but their price was still up in the $1400 range at that time.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Deacon

The current crop of LCDs have 1600x1200 resolutions. I have been working on LCDs for the last 2 months. I wouldn't go back. No more headaches, burning eyes and crisp, even brightness and color.

I am actually using a monitor I bought used. It came from Enron of all places. One thing about a used LCD is that you don't have to worry about the tube life being used up.

Go to the NEC website and run their ROI calculator to f> considering picking up a new monitor.. something

Reply to
kellnerp

20.1" x 2 -> 3200 x 1200 pixels. Better than my old single 21" CRT unit.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

21" x 2 @ 2048 x 1536 = 4096 x 1536

Not everybody wants that resolution, or a desk big enough for two 21" CRTs. Bottom line for me is that LCDs are still far more expensive than CRTs at any given resolution, and 2048 x 1536 just isn't available. Any lower resolution makes me claustrophobic these days. I'm funny that way. If you have the room, and a quality CRT doesn't bug your eyes, you can save some money.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I bought a 19" Viewsonic LCD and would not go back to CRT for anything. I totally agree with kellnerp, no more headaches!!!

My 2 cents, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

Yes I have one 19 dell ultrasharp and one 18" dell ultrasharp LCD love them and wouldnt go back to CRT. These give me less headache problems. My Sony CRT did have a little better picture though and I would like bigger monitors but I am happy with what I have for now.

Mike Grant

Reply to
Mike Grant

Right, it's the backlights that die or fade away. In notebooks, the fluorescent bulbs usually had an expected life of 10,000 hours. I don't know if the desktop monitor people use longer life bulbs.

Jerry Steiger