Light position

Hello

I am trying to position a spotlight inside a lamp shade & have shine down onto the floor. I read somewhere about creating a 3d point then attaching the light to it, but I dont know how to? Proe 2001 or Wildfire

Thanks

Geoff

Reply to
g.ormesher

Any ideas anyone??

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote:

Reply to
g.ormesher

: wrote : Hello : : I am trying to position a spotlight inside a lamp shade & have shine : down onto the floor. I read somewhere about creating a 3d point then : attaching the light to it, but I dont know how to? : Proe 2001 or Wildfire :

I've never used the renderer or set up lights before. I'm also using WF2 (the Student Edition, not even the professional one, so maybe this doesn't count), but, so far, haven't seen any significant differences in operation.

Went to 'View>Model Setup>Lights'. From the menu bar, selected 'Light>New>Spot' and there was a spot light shining on my part. I could adjust the angle, focus, location, etc. It doesn't give the light itself, but a lit object. Are you trying to make a lamp shade glow and a lit spot appear on the floor? Don't really understand what you are trying to do. But, from my little experiment, it seems that the directional lighting of a part is not that difficult. If that's what you want to do.

Reply to
David Janes

"Are you trying to make a lamp shade glow and a lit spot appear on the floor?"

Exactly Dave,

Imagine a Lamp standing in the middle of a dark room, switch the light on and you have a glow from the lamp, no other lights are involved. I would of thought you could attach a light to a part like a light bulb then put that inside a shade. Thanks for you time

Geoff

Reply to
g.ormesher

I wouldn't say you can't do this, but that's not a 'spotlight' type of light. And, for that matter, most setting up lights is not about creating lamps or showing the light source but about lighting effects on rendered, textured, colored parts. Still, another type light might be what you're looking for.

So, you might be able to show a light source, but that will be a different kind of light, not a spot light. I think you have to try it out, try setting up different kinds of lights, get to know the interface, how it works, what it'll do, glean what you can from the help files. It hasn't been much discussed in this NG so I can't even direct you to previous discussions. I have seen resources on line that might answer your needs, perhaps FroTime, CadQuest or Cadtrain might have material on this. Many offer onsite courses such as Torgon, Rand or, if you can get to the Chicago area, Bart Brejcha and Design Engine/Education which specializes in the industrial design type courses so I'm sure they're strong on rendering. Then there's finding a community college that offers training in Pro/e and wheedling the Pro/RENDER course out of them. Certainly the cheapest and most cost effective route, if you can finagle your way in.

Reply to
David Janes

I bet it would be easier to figure out by looking through tutorials for programs like Maya or other animation tools, then transfer what you learn over to Pro/E. There's a LOT more material out there for animation programs than CAD programs, at least in this area, and the methods have to be similar.

Reply to
hamei