Sheet metal question

I have a flange wall, pretty simple, just an arc and straight line in the section, followed by an unbend that flattens same flange wall. I
have to put in a hole through this wall, just a circular hole, but when I do the unbend doesn't work. Anyone know why?
have a flange wall, pretty simple, just an arc and straight line in<BR>the section, followed by an unbend that flattens same flange wall. I<BR>have to put in a hole through this wall, just a circular hole, but<BR>when I do the unbend doesn't work. Anyone know why?</BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>I tried what you describe, creating the flange wall (why flange not flat?). Couldn't get it to unbend, couldn't even get it to do the flat pattern, especially not with the sketched profile. The normal flange wall would flatten, however (but still wouldn't do the unbend). But the unbend is so flakey I hardly use it anymore, never could get it to work consistently. But why not with a hole in it is a mystery to me, too. And nothing seems to have been changed about it in WF3, AFAIK, SOS.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
have a flange wall, pretty simple, just an arc and straight line in<BR>the section, followed by an unbend that flattens same flange wall. I<BR>have to put in a hole through this wall, just a circular hole, but<BR>when I do the unbend doesn't work. Anyone know why?</BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>I tried what you describe, creating the flange wall (why flange not flat?). Couldn't get it to unbend, couldn't even get it to do the flat pattern, especially not with the sketched profile. The normal flange wall would flatten, however (but still wouldn't do the unbend). But the unbend is so flakey I hardly use it anymore, never could get it to work consistently. But why not with a hole in it is a mystery to me, too. And nothing seems to have been changed about it in WF3, AFAIK, SOS.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>BTW, this from PTC.com on part accuracy, always a suspect in sheetmetal failures:</DIV> <DIV><A href="https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=/35593.htm ">https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=/35593.htm </A></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

I worked it out. The feature needs to regenerate in its unbent position, so in this case the hole has to be referenced entirely to the flange wall. I had a default datum as a sketcher orientation reference (which would no longer be facing the right way when the wall was unbent), so instead I chose an edge of the flange wall as a right orientation.
The first thing I always do is try flat pattern: it's obviously simpler to use, but if it doesn't work I try Unbend All. If (when?) that doesn't work I unbend the flanges one-by-one. I'm not a Sheet Metal expert.
I have a flange wall, pretty simple, just an arc and straight line in<BR>&gt; the section, followed by an unbend that flattens same flange wall. I<BR>&gt; have to put in a hole through this wall, just a circular hole, but<BR>&gt; when I do the unbend doesn't work. Anyone know why?<BR>&gt; I tried what you describe, creating the flange wall (why flange not flat?). Couldn't get it to unbend, couldn't even get it to do the flat pattern, especially not with the sketched profile. The normal flange wall would flatten, however (but still wouldn't do the unbend). But the unbend is so flakey I hardly use it anymore, never could get it to work consistently. But why not with a hole in it is a mystery to me, too. And nothing seems to have been changed about it in WF3, AFAIK, SOS.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; David Janes<BR>&gt; BTW, this from PTC.com on part accuracy, always a suspect in sheetmetal failures:https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=/35593.htm <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; David Janes<BR><BR>I worked it out. The feature needs to regenerate in its unbent<BR>position, so in this case the hole has to be referenced entirely to<BR>the flange wall. I had a default datum as a sketcher orientation<BR>reference (which would no longer be facing the right way when the wall<BR>was unbent), so instead I chose an edge of the flange wall as a right<BR>orientation.<BR><BR>The first thing I always do is try flat pattern: it's obviously<BR>simpler to use, but if it doesn't work I try Unbend All. If (when?)<BR>that doesn't work I unbend the flanges one-by-one. I'm not a Sheet<BR>Metal expert.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>That was a good heads up~a way to make a sheet metal cut fail. BTW, anyone notice on WF3 that sheet metal cut has gone away? Hole is still there, which I used, but no cut! Or did it get swallowed up in something else?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>How did they manage to get such a large chunk of sheet metal functionality into dashboard (flat walls, flange walls), but miss bends, unbends, bendbacks!?! Anyone taking bets on how long PTC can milk this "transition to the dashboard, object/action functionality"! How about Slowburn 10? or maybe Barely-glowing-ember 20? How about never finished because they lost interest, spending all their resources buying/hacking up new companies!!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

Flow direction of material in plastic state changes.