Sheetmetal conversion - can't convert - suggestions

Gurus:

Using Wildfire 1 M190. I have a standard application part that was modeled to look like a sheetmetal part but I'd like to convert it to the sheetmetal application.

I've been using the driving surface method and nothing seems to work.

Is there anything to look out for, features to avoid trying to convert etc?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Think of this application as one built for doing duct work: every feature and surface needs to be developable (translatable into planar surfaces, i.e., the traditional cone is 'translated' into a series of wedge-shaped flat surfaces that meet at the point, and, at their base, approximate a circle.)

So, if your part is composed of planar surfaces, it is developable, you should be able to trace a series of edge breaks through the part, and, with sufficient breaks, unfold it. In other words, the conversion process favors boxey parts. If you have curvey surfaces, they may not be developable and thus, not convertable.

Reply to
David Janes

I agree with what David Janes posted above. Also, suppress any Chamfers or Rounds in the part that you are attempting to convert to a Pro/SHEETMETAL object. Or any Cut or Slot features that would simulate swage or coin features in the model. These types of features can prevent the conversion to sheetmetal as well as the issues that David described above.

R.M.

Reply to
R.M.

R.M.,

Suppressing the rounds really helped out. I've managed to get one of my parts converted.

thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike