Templates, how is it done?

I have done this in the past, but it was so long ago I can't remember, and the Pro Help files, will not much help. Now I'm at a new job and there are not any start parts or templates. I'm mostly interested in what ever it takes to get my name and a couple of other things set into the parameter file so I don't have to fill it in every time.

I am the only user here so what I do will not effect anyone else. The start part itself I don't think I will have one. Every part is different.

Thanks

Reply to
fmcdougle

A start part can contain as much or as little standardized setup as you want. I work with a start part that has a given set of parameters that need to be filled out, a set of layers, standard named views, default datums and csys, units set as well as a default material, a reasonable abs accuracy value as well as anything from the Setup menu that you might want incorporated into every part you create. Then, when you have the configuration parameter TEMPLATE_SOLIDPART set by browsing to the file you want to set, this will pop up every time you create a new part, as long as the box is checked that says 'Use default template'. When you use this template part, it's the same as opening the part and doing a 'Save as' with the new name. Then, it doesn't matter what geometry you create in this part, you'll have certain basic stuff set up the same way from one part to another.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Thanks David

Reply to
fmcdougle

Is there a way to copy the three symbols from Pro's template_drawing and putting them into a different template_drawing? Will the properties window will still open for name changes?

Frank

Reply to
fmcdougle

Is there a way to copy the three symbols from Pro's template_drawing and putting them into a different template_drawing? Will the properties window will still open for name changes?

Frank

Sure, you do 'save a copy' and give it the name of your new template. Then edit the template for such things as page size, default view locations, default .DTL file configuration information.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

edit the template for such things as page size, default view locations, def= ault .DTL file configuration information.

Your saying I can open the template_drawing and copy the template_symbol_1 to a new name and past it into template_drawing_b that I already have. That is what I would like to do.

Frank

Reply to
fmcdougle

.com... >

Your saying I can open the template_drawing and copy the template_symbol_1 to a new name and past it into template_drawing_b that I already have. That is what I would like to do.

Frank No, I'm saying copy the template to a new name and the symbols go with it. If you're actually asking about creating a reusable symbol library, that be a whole other kettle of fish. Is that what you're trying to accomplish, a reusable symbol library? I guess I'm confused where we're going with this.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

snipped-for-privacy@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

. Then edit the template for such things as page size, default view location= s, default .DTL file configuration information.

If you're actually asking about creating a reusable symbol library, that be= a whole other kettle of fish. Is that what you're trying to accomplish, a r= eusable symbol library? I guess I'm confused where we're going with this.

No I don't want a library. I already made a template_drawing before I decided I wanted the symbols. I was just tring to find out if I could move one of them to my new template_drawing. If not I guess I can start over with my drawing_template.

Reply to
fmcdougle

No I don't want a library. I already made a template_drawing before I decided I wanted the symbols. I was just tring to find out if I could move one of them to my new template_drawing. If not I guess I can start over with my drawing_template.

You know what I have heard of for symbols, short of setting up a symbols library, is a symbol palette. It's a drawing that's identified somehow as a palette. Do this: Click 'Insert>Drawing Symbol>From Palette'. You'll notice that there's a button Add to Palette. If you're in your drawing template, you might be able to add them to the palette and make them accessible this way.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes