Top Down failed assembly

I have a failed assembly - software bales out every time I try and open it. [The corruption is in the asm not he part files as I've tried moving the part files so I can suppress them as the asm opens]

Not too bothered as its reasonbly simply and didn't take long to rebuild...... but it did start me thinking about models which fail which are built on a more Top Down design approach.

If I think about some of my more complex surface models which I generally build in the assembly where the parts are completely intertwined through the assembly and various ref geom in it the idea of the asm file failing could present a few hours rebuilding.

Any thoughts? What's the 'suggested' method for ensuring you can get out of an asm failure? I think I'll start keeping the later version files a bit longer than I usually do.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Kerslake

Nothing useful to say, just some babblin' ...

The one time I 'corrupted' an assy was when I was first trying to sort out what Simp Reps were all about. Never duplicated (I was so confused I probably couldn't have anyway) or managed to recover it. If I were to guess, based on foggy memory, I'd say it had something to do with using one of the canned (Geometry, Graphics, Symbolic) component reps.

As for recovery routines; I've never seen or heard of anything in the way of procedure. To tell the truth; tho' I've seen "crash on open" postings other than this I don't remember ever seeing much of a discussion develop around any. I might, if presented with the situation, try Create New Simplified Rep on Open, Excluding everything except the top assy and go from there, either Retrieving components a few at a time or loading existing Simp Reps. If the .asm is toast it probably won't get very far and it'll be more expedient to eat the time since last good save?

FWIW, I rarely do an assy that's not top down with references to combinations of assembly 'construction geometry' features, 'master part' geometry, cust furn models and usually extensive use of subtractive assembly features. Keeping CRC's cleaned up and occasionally having to re-educate myself re the order of feature / component regeneration are the worst of my problems. Wonder if CRC's could be a contributor? 'Living' with any?

Sorry can't illuminate anything. If you stumble on something or develop any ideas please share.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Not too bothered as its reasonbly simply and didn't take long to rebuild...... but it did start me thinking about models which fail which are built on a more Top Down design approach.

I do a lot of modeling 'in situ', 'Insert>Component>Create', assemble the blank component, do 'Activate' and start creating features. Sometimes I reference other component geometry, sometimes I use it as just a visual reference, to get the scale right. But, when I reference other component geometry, I usually go into the newly created part and delete the external references, pick new ones inside the part. Sometimes, when I want the clearance hole in 'Part B' to follow the tapped hole in 'Part A', I'll leave them tied together, so B moves automatically when A does. Depends on your design intent

If I think about some of my more complex surface models which I generally build in the assembly where the parts are completely intertwined through the assembly and various ref geom in it the idea of the asm file failing could present a few hours rebuilding.

It's not just failing, it's whether you actually mean, intend, for some very good reason, that the geometry between two parts be tied together, linked, associative. There's a lot of associativity built into Pro/e but it can come back to bite you when you're not aware of the dependcies you're creating. However, the unwanted ones can, fortunately, be gotten rid of.

Any thoughts? What's the 'suggested' method for ensuring you can get out of an asm failure? I think I'll start keeping the later version files a bit longer than I usually do.

Become a close friend of the Assembly Resolve Mode! It's a bacon saver, gets your fat out of the fire when you know how to use it.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes