WF2 - Mechanical

I am using the evaluayion version of WF2, and is working on some tutorials.

I find it difficult to place compont, it seems like i just can use a few connections and then the "+" button grays out and then the part is only partially connected.

Is this bug or just user error ? Is it possibel to get a bugfix for this WF2 version ?

I am using a 3 year old PC, and will now buy a new for around

800£ / 175 £. Any tips on graphic cards in the 100£ price range ?

AB

Reply to
AB

Which tut? Curiosity, but if others could and would reference the same doc it would enhance communication if there's need to dig deeper.

First off: "Connections" or "Constraints" (Place tab or Connect tab)?

I think it's a bug. I'm using an early build of WF2 (M010) and that happens whereas I don't remember it being an annoyance in whatever build of WF I used prior. Couple of things to do: [1] uncheck Allow Assumptions (or whatever it is) and [2] go to the Move tab of the comp placement dialog, click on Translate, go back to the Place tab and "+" should be active again. I don't understand why that happens, but doubt it's a user error thing as Pro/E's documentation (WF Help, WF2 may have changed?) encourages the use of redundant constraints, over constraining so there's no logical reason for the "+" to go inactive. Maybe something to do with the Mechanism Design module?

If there's a fix it might be in a later build of WF2. Talk to whoever you got the eval from. Isn't it possible to get WF3 eval yet or do you intend to settle into WF2 for a while if you go with it?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Also, for some reason, lately, I'm starting out in the Move input page instead Place. I see an outline of the part and can move the component around. But then, to get anywhere, you have to left click the mouse to "drop" the component. Then switch to the Place page. It's probably some setting in config.pro that I haven't found yet.

On the assumption that you're trying to create mechanism Connections, I have a suggestion: create ordinary component constraints then convert them to Connections. Say you want a Pin type connection ~ as ordinary component constraints, that Insert and Align. Uncheck the Allow Assumptions box and the Convert Constraints to mechanism connections icon should activate. This is a troublefree way of making connections and should say at thebottom "Connection Definition Complete".

First, the eval release is on a timed license for something like 6 months, not upgradeable, no newer versions. You're supposed to buy the real thing and maintenance which let's you upgrade, continuously, with newer builds of whatever you've licensed. If you have longer learning/training needs, you need to find a school that has it and start taking some classes. Or, at very least, get the Student Edition here:

you're a student, it's $200 for WF3 (yeah, it's out finally) and $300 for personal use.

Yeah, I got one at a local users' group meeting; PTC was there and handed them out with registration so it was free. You might be able to get it or order it online, ptc.com but their website is so jacked up that none of the links they show for support and information work. You get redirected to the educational section which has an faq on installing the eval version but nothing on how to obtain it. Classic PTC. It's probably buried somewhere. Anyway, try this url, listed on the eval jacket:

or

David Janes

One of the nVidia cards that can be soft quadroed (i.e., turned into a Quadro FX equivalent). Generally, the Geforce cards. These are the better gamer cards. They can tell you here:

here:

David Janes

I bought a GeForce for my home computer and it runs Pro/E and Solidworks just a good as the high dollar card that I have in my computer at work.

Reply to
Brooke

Which one!?! I've got some onboard crap with this mobo and it's really light on OpenGL., plus only 64M of shared memory. Ugh! Need a good nVidia card to softquadro to quadro fx.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes