Online entry forms

Contest organizers are increasingly putting contest info and entry forms on line. This is great, as it allows competitors to fill out entry forms before hand, instead of doing it in line at registration. Since most contests have seperate sheets for each model, this can be quite time consuming.

However, to ease the effort on the competitor's part, the file type which is provided online is important. I see commonly three file types these forms are provided in: pdf, jpeg, and .doc.

Most of us do not have the software to EDIT pdf forms. Jpegs are by nature uneditable. What this means is that we have to print out the number of blank forms needed, and fill out ALL required info each time.

On the other hand, a word processing format such as .doc CAN be edited by virtually everyone with a computer. Almost any word processor these days, even Wordpad that comes with Windows, can edit a .doc format document. That means we can edit the forms to put in our names, addresses and such that are needed on each form. Then we can print out the number needed and only have to fill in the model info, which is usually different on each one anyway.

Thus, I recommend that contest organizers do their entry forms in .doc and place these on line, rather than jpeg or pdf versions.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Don Stauffer in Minnesota said the following on 26/01/07 15:33:

[snipped]

There are great difficulties in using the .doc format if it's come from Microsoft Word of a later version that the version that the user might have. For instance, I still have Word 95 for Windows and it works fine for me but if I click on a .doc file which will of course be for a later version, my Word tries to open it and it crashes with the dreaded 'unrecoverable error' window with only the 'ok' button to get me out of it.

Another version might be an online form that the user can partly fill then return to at some later date, to complete. This is already being done with the Brit's favourite friend, the Inland Revenue! Sadly, I've not won anything from them but that would be a great idea.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote: : Contest organizers are increasingly putting contest info and entry : forms on line. This is great, as it allows competitors to fill out : entry forms before hand, instead of doing it in line at registration. : Since most contests have seperate sheets for each model, this can be : quite time consuming. : : On the other hand, a word processing format such as .doc CAN be edited : by virtually everyone with a computer. Almost any word processor these : days, even Wordpad that comes with Windows, can edit a .doc format : document. : May I suggest ".rtf" format? Rich Text Format will work with more word processors than ".doc", which includes various versions of windoze turd, errr, word.

".rtf" also works with StarOffice, OpenOffice, O'sucks TextEdit and I would hope, but have not tried, some of the "online" word processors from Google et. al.

And, yeah, word will treat it like a .doc file when it see it.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Richard Brooks wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

This is an interesting discussion. I have two thoughts I'd like to throw out here.

While it is true that most people do not have the software to edit a PDF, you can create a form in PDF format that allows the user to enter information. You just cannot save the data. But this would still work for the scenario where you had multiple entries. You'd could do one of two things. Fill out the common info, print multiple copies, and fill the rest of the information by hand. Or fill out all the information, print the form, enter the info for the next entry, print, and so on.

Second, .DOC format, aside from the backward compatibilty issue (which .PDF shares to a small degree), introduces a major security hole. Could you imagine the fun Dennis would have if the IPMS should happen to distribute a .DOC form with a virus? I have heard of a number of viruses spread thru word documents. I have yet to hear of one spread thru a PDF file.

Reply to
John Stewart

I am a bit horrified with the blase attitude that people take to document formats. Using a binary format like .doc is simply stupid if one wishes it to be portable. This format changes version to version, and there is no easy way to see the contents with simple text editors and other word processors (which can all do the job of a text editor in at least opening and saving simple text files). So for a portable format with complex formatting allowed, one needs to take a standard, which may change but does so transparently, for instance XML. This is what future Microsoft .doc formats may use (but still with binary extensions to make it harder to see what is going on there), but OpenOffice.org and various other applications all over the web (not only for human-readable documents, but also for applications to talk to one another, since if a XML-reader and writer is standardized it is reliably useful to all programs in the operating system).

In the absence of the need for formatting, one can always use simple text (save as text file, not as .rtf or .doc).

It only takes one unhappy experience with not being able to read a binary document to realize the truth of what I am writing.

(the same goes for Usenet: when people post HTML here by accident or through ignorance, that is annoying, but not nearly as annoying as not being able to see anything legible at all in a document)

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Yes! That is a great idea! rtf should be able to be handled by anyone!

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

With my Adobe Acrobat Reader, I cannot even edit a pdf. I cannot enter anything. What software do I need to edit the pdf?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Full blown Adobe Acrobat - not just the Reader.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Try Open Office

It is freeware, and works under Winbloz, or Linux

You can edit, and make PDF's no problem.

Reply to
AM

AM> Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote: >>>

Try Open Office

AM> It is freeware, and works under Winbloz, or Linux

AM> You can edit, and make PDF's no problem.

Excellent advice! I am not sure if you meant this one, but if so then please call it "OpenOffice.org", since Open Office is a trademarked set of software packages and is somewhat different.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Bruce

Yes! That is a great idea! rtf should be able to be handled by

Oh- maybe I was too hasty. I know virtually all Windows users can handle rtf. But what about Macs? Can the average Mac handle rtf okay?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote: : :> > ".rtf" also works with StarOffice, OpenOffice, O'sucks TextEdit :> > and I would hope, but have not tried, some of the "online" word :> > processors from Google et. al. : : Oh- maybe I was too hasty. I know virtually all Windows users can : handle rtf. But what about Macs? Can the average Mac handle rtf okay? : O'sucks (OS X) TextEdit can. If anybody is still running OS 9 or previous, well, probably.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden