cutout fails!?!

We created an assembly of some flat layer, assembled a shrinkwrap into the middle of the layers. We did, in Assembly mode, WF2, an 'Edit>Component Operations>Cutout'. On some machines we got the message (whene the cutout failed): "Selected item is external. Backup is not possible." Cryptic, even by Pro/e standards. Anyone know what this means? what to do? This happens on the "interns'" machines. When I load the same files from CS, do the same cutout, I get no errors. Cutout goes as expected. Anyone know why this happens or what hte error message means? (Unfortunately, I can't look this up myself; I'm frozen out of my PTC account. Hey, guys, was it something I said!!!)

Reply to
David Janes

I hesitate at posting this 'cos it's you David, but you do have the same config.pro on all the machines don't you?

Sorry in advance.

Reply to
John Wade

Yeah, I know -- what to do when the "answer man" is stumped. Well, most of the config.pro files are system loaded, corporate settings. I'm not sure if I gave the interns my personal one or not. I think I hesitated to get into it because I couldn't think of any settings that could cause this behavior. But, it's worth a try. Interesting experiment anyway.

Reply to
David Janes

Some companies, such as Cat, do stop external refs by default, and you may have to twink either their config, or their tools - assembly settings. Surprised me first time, but it stops people who don't understand how much trouble circular refs are creating them accidentally.

Reply to
John Wade

I'm totally clueless, but "backup" brings regen backup to mind and wondering about write permissions on the interns' machines. (Just a thought, I really have no idea how all that stuff works.)

Reply to
Jeff Howard