Wildfire 5 intent manager

I just read a blurb on another discussion engine noting that the intent manager will be on by default in wf5 and will not be able to be turned off. Anyone know the real story about this? I don't use the intent manager for the most part and will have an issue with this.

Thanks...

Reply to
bobp

It appears that you are right. Intent manager is on and cannot be turned off. You now have the option of controlling each constraint independently. The following is from the Wildfire 5.0 Help Centre:

"Using Intent Manager Using the Intent Manager, you can dynamically dimension and constrain geometry as you sketch. The option to turn it off is no longer available."

Doug

Reply to
albresco

I just read a blurb on another discussion engine noting that the intent manager will be on by default in wf5 and will not be able to be turned off. Anyone know the real story about this? I don't use the intent manager for the most part and will have an issue with this.

Thanks... Hey, good news, getting rid of the "choice" of using Intent Manager or not. Thanks, really, for bringing this up. I haven't run across such an anachronism in what, five years, maybe. Good to know you "paperboy" holdovers are still around. The last such I ran into retired from Caterpillar with HIS DRAFTING BOARD!!! Would NOT go digital, stuck to paper, kept at it, even after retirement, garage hobby stuff just to stay out of the way of the missus. Anything that needed to be revised that had his name on it, he got it. And usually with detrimental results. The toolmakers hated him. He'd create interferfences by changing a diminsion on the drawing without moving or checking the geometry. Apparently, he'd done this the entire time he'd worked for Caterpillar, so you can't just blame paper. But, honestly, paper made this kind of shortcut SO much easier. And the tools built into Pro/e to PREVENT this are so much more difficult, so much more deliberate and thoughtful, so much more painstaking than "turning off intent manager" that one wonders how such a person would ever, in this lifetime, learn the advanced techniques. Turning "OFF" intent manager buys you what exactly, besides being the slowest, least efficient, most frustrated guy on the block!?! I'm so far past it, maybe I'll never get it. Or, maybe someone else has a soft, comforting, sympathetic (pathetic!) shoulder to cry on. Mine just has a sign posted, says "GROW UP".

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Don't just leave a commment like this hanging, do explain!

Reply to
Ken Poberezny

blurb on another discussion engine noting that the

Thank you "Albresco" for your response. Apparently, I'm a dinosaur as I prefer to sketch, then apply the dimensions I prefer to use rather than accepting what the software generates. I keep sketches simple so I rarely have issues getting them to regenerate. It will take a bit of getting use to but I will manage. I've been using Pro/e since release

6.0 and am very comfortable with the software. I have built many complex models of plastic parts with flowing lines and surfaces, among other things, and view my skills as "advanced".

I use to view Mr. Janes with high regard as he has many posts that I agree with and have learned from. From his above post, it appears arrogance has gotten the best of him. Learning pro/e when I did, there weren't so many automatic features and one had to learn how to sketch in a way to obtain the desired shape.

I will get used to the intent manager while still using wf4 in preparation for the next upgrade. I'm certain I will become less of a dinosaur in the process.

Regards, Bobp

Reply to
bobp

blurb on another discussion engine noting that the

It's not that bad. It will tend to throw a lot at you at once, but in reality after some practice it helps speed the process rather than mangle. As well, dimensions are your choice - the weak dimensions and constraints that the system generates arbitrarily will disappear one-by-one as you add your dimensioning / constraining scheme.

David

Reply to
David Geesaman

I've had a number of occasions when after a change higher up the tree where missing or outdated references are to be expected then going into the sketch and dealing with the stuff in sketch references till it has nothing missing or outdated it still does not you return to the sketch, can't remember the warning but will not close the references window. The only way out I've found is ctrl+A and delete the feature causing a mess all the way down. I wondered if this was the kind of thing Bobp was trying to avoid.

Reply to
kenny

On Dec 6, 8:53 am, Ken Poberezny wrote: > In article @m3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...> I just read a blurb on another discussion engine noting that the > > intent manager will be on by default in wf5 and will not be able to be > > turned off. Anyone know the real story about this? I don't use the > > intent manager for the most part and will have an issue with this. >

[...]

Sir, I am in my 64th year of life, but I console myself that, at 100, I will not be half the ole fart you were at 20. I met your type in the trades and despised them all. They put in their "time", spent a little money on the setup and figured that, out of such trivial effort, they could complacently, contentedly coast the rest of their lives, their birthright, doing what they did, never straying from the routine, the tried-and-true, never learning one new goddamned thing. Then the least little bump came along where they had to learn something "NEW", OMG, panic time, everything's gone to shit, all is lost, hankering for the good ole daze.... And, ya know what! Ya snooze, ya looze! Got no sympathy. You wasted precious time, now you're paying the price. Tough shit!?! Take some X-LAX. Or, hey, better yet, go back to school, take a Pro/e course or two and learn what you missed these last 10 years while you were doggin' it, pretending to be so much smarter that the rest of us. (Jesus FH Christ! Where in the WORLD do they have the rich gravy, the decadent excess to cushion such a nitwit!!) And, OBTW, EVERYTHING YOU SAID IN YOUR CONDESCENDING "APOLOGY" WAS PURE, UNADULTERATED HORSE MANURE!!!! Thanks anyway and good luck with finally growing up where you can blessedly stop whining about every little change in the tool. Wildfire is a thousand times better than the UNIX based shit that went before. Time to finally celebrate that PTC got on board with a real windowed platform. (Now, if it could only multitask [work and print at the same time!?!?!?])

Peace on earth, goodwill toward men, Let The Dead Bury Their Own Dead, Happy Holidays, David Janes

Reply to
Janes

[...]

Whoa....you are certainly reading a lot more into my question then I anticipated. You know nothing about me, but are very quick to make grandiose assumptions. You are apparently very knowledgeable about Pro/ e and I give you much credit. Understanding the software to the degree you do is commendable, but the reality is....pro/e is a tool that greatly improves the completion of the work toward the end result. Your career path is most certainly on the cad side, where I work in a more global circumstance. That being the case, I'm more interested in getting the product to market than being a cad expert. My responsibilities include the cad side, along with implementation, product management, quality assurance, as well as sustaining engineering among other areas. I don't have time to pursue your cad skills as those tasks are just part of my world. Large companies can afford to employ "experts", whereas the rest of us must rely on folks that wear more hats.

And, OBTW, EVERYTHING YOU SAID IN YOUR CONDESCENDING "APOLOGY" WAS PURE, UNADULTERATED HORSE MANURE!!!! Thanks anyway and good luck with finally growing up where you can blessedly stop whining about every little change in the tool.

I don't see any part of my post as an apology in any way...I asked a simple question about an upcoming version of the software and was portrayed as a dolt by someone who is either having a bad day or has become arrogant in his (now known) advanced years.

Wildfire is a thousand times better than the UNIX based shit that went before. Time to finally celebrate that PTC got on board with a real windowed platform. (Now, if it could only multitask [work and print at the same time!?!?!?])

As far as PTC getting on board with a real windowed platform, give me a break. Yes, wildfire is 1000 times better, but that is not a result of windowization. It is a result of strong competition from Solid Works. They were forced to make the strides they have and it is now a much better product at a much better price.

As I am not interested in flaming back and forth with an arrogant cad jockey, I will not pleasure you with another response. You sir, may have the last word. But, "oh by the way",......FO!

Reply to
bobp