anatomy diagram (exploded view) of a bicycle ?

Hello everyone. I've been tearing apart old discard bicycles to get the 1/2 inch pitch gears and chains, etc. But if I knew what to call certain parts I'm sure I could find better insructions on the 'net to get this accomplished. Does anyone know of a site that lists an exploded view and terms of a 5-speed (any speed) bike ? Like an "anatomy diagram" of a bike.

I've been Googling but I'm at a loss regarding the proper terms for the multiple gear assembly on the rear wheels, etc. If I knew that sort of thing I could find what I want !

Thanks! JCDeen

Reply to
pogo

--For a good time check out atomiczombie.com They have a crazy book called "Atomic Zombie's Bicycle Builders Bonanza" that treats a bike like a side of beef, showing you where to cut it to maximize part yield, etc. Maybe there??

Reply to
steamer

and chains, etc. But if I knew what to call certain

accomplished. Does anyone know of a site that lists an

diagram" of a bike.

multiple gear assembly on the rear wheels, etc. If I knew

There are a bunch of old books such as this that will help you:

I presume you're getting old Huffy's and such, and maybe the more recent 5-speed bikes kids usually ride thesedays. More recent (more expensive) bikes tend to have incompatible/nonstandard parts, so be aware if you get one of these it may not be compatible with the other parts you're getting.

I've heard that more expensive bikes often don't last long, not because of low quality of the basic design/manufacture, but because makers often only sell a model and replacement parts for it for a few years, and then make a new-and-improved (lighter, better gearing, bla bla bla) model with even more incompatible parts, so an older bike may be fine except for one bad but essential part that you can't get a replacement for.

Googling bicycle maintenance brings up a bunch of good sites.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

Here's a design tool for sprocket drives:

It's from Berg, which sells a broad range of gears, sprockets, chains, belts, and other drive products.

John Nagle Animats

Reply to
John Nagle

Thanks everyone !