Anyone Used the CPU_3a2 HC11 board?

I was wondering if anyone has a CPU_3A2 board from the company PMB located in New Zealand, and has it working. I got one of their boards and have had quite a bit of trouble etting it up and running, (and still don't have it up). Well I just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with them...

Thanks

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

I use the CPU_1A1 board with no problems.

I asume you can get the on board BASIC to run?

Are you using a bootstrap loader?

If programming with your own code what mode are you running the HC11 in, i.e. MODA & MODB pins?

Are you using the watcdog timer?

Have you configured the memory mapping correctly and the PORTG bank selection lines?

Last itme I looked at the source code for the BASIC it did not write too the flash.

As a hint get the source code for the BASIC from the web site it has the code too init the memory mappng and bank selection.

Also have a look at my project and loader using the CPU_1A1 at

DrWho?

Hi,

I have a CPU_3A2 board, and have had no major issues getting it up and running.

I did have some initial troubles, but those were mainly getting a development toolchain setup for Linux, hence I couldn't use the tools which are downloadable from the PMB website.

In my case I didn't buy Paul's development board and breadboarded my own power supply and rs232 transcever etc etc. Are you doing something similiar or have you brought a development board (btw there was at some stage a plan to develop a new devboard with a CPLD to incompase an LCD interface and matrix keyboard etc etc)

Can you give some specifics about difficulties you are having in getting the board up and running.

If you like I can send you an application which will run under the Buffalo bootloader which sends "Hello World" via the serial port. Using Buffalo for "gaining a footing" on the platform is an easy way to atleast get the initial things working. However that might be of no benifit if you problems are else where, such as in bringing up the device from your own firmware (i.e. with no bootloader available etc).

My suggestion would be to email Paul directly ( snipped-for-privacy@pmb.co.nz) he is a really easy guy to get on with and would only be to happy to suggest tips etc on getting your project up and running, or to discuss tricky problems you are running into.

If you want further help, I'd be happy to help out where I can. Email me if you're interested.

Thanks, Christopher Fairbairn.

Reply to
Christopher Fairbairn

Hi,

I just thought of another thing to be aware of possibly...

If you are having troubles interfacing to other devices and you downloaded the schematics a long time ago it might pay to download a new copy.

I personally found one or two bugs in the schematics and Paul updated the downloaded schematic to actually match the real hardware. From memory (I'd have to look into my old emails for specifics) there were a few cases where some of the signals had accidently been transposed (I even vaguly think at one stage RX and TX where accidently labelled wrong :-( _).

Thanks, Christopher Fairbairn

Reply to
Christopher Fairbairn

Thanks for responding, I also did not buy the board, because I thought that I could get it breadboarded by myself, as I already have a cable with RS-232 translation and I wanted to save a little money. However I think that my major problems are coming from the software aspect instead. I cannot get the visual basic program that Paul made to install on my computer because every time it tries it wants to update something, but it never gets past that point. Did you ever try this program? I guess if you worked in Linux you probably didn't.

Thanks,

Ryan Grandy

Reply to
Ryan

Try using the boot loader at

It is MSDOS based and written for the CPU1A board, but you can change it to suite as full source code is provided.

Reply to
DrWho?