AusRobotics - A new Australian robotics club!

Hi everyone!

Are you into robots and looking for a club in Melbourne/Sydney/ Brisbane/Perth/Adelaide/Anywhere? :)

I live in Melbourne and have been interested in robotics for as long as I can remember but have never had much luck finding other people that are into the same thing.

Unlike the US, there doesn't seem to be many robotics clubs around in Australia for us robo-lovers to together and talk about stuff so to that end I am attempting to start a new Australia wide club.

It is Australia wide to ensure that we have the maximum number of members but could potentially have sub-nodes in every state for organisation. Information would be shared via a central website so that everyone knows what is going on everywhere else. That way if members were in another state for a holiday or something they could meet up.

I would love it if we could get something like this off the ground as it would be a great chance for us to exchange information and skills. I am a programmer by trade and have no problem with the software side of robotics. It's just the mechanical side that seems to stump me. I am sure there are people out there who are just the opposite and meeting up would benefit us all. :)

There is still a lot to work out but if anyone is interested in joining/helping or just exchanging information, please let me know via email or by replying. Also if you are a member of Facebook (http://

you can also join and leave posts etc. in the 'AusRobotics' group.

Regards,

Ash Harrison

Reply to
ashmodeus

you can also join and leave posts etc. in the

Hi, Interesting idea, I am also a robotics researcher by night based in Melbourne. My work in robotics is described on the web site I have put together at

I did try to find the AusRobotics group on facebook, no joy... Can you provide a link or something? Anyway I would probably contribute in some way to a robotics interest group in Australia. Regards, Murray

RobotsAustralia

you can also join and leave posts etc. in the

I'm a robotics researcher by day but am considering a move to Aus from the UK but I have to find work first :) I'll pop in and say hi!

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

you can also join and leave posts etc. in the

Awesome, some replies! :)

I have the AusRobotics.com domain now and I'll try to set up a forum or something on there over the weekend.

I have noticed that there are at least a couple of other melbourne roboteers on the evosapien.com site so I might send those guys an email and see if they are interested.

I'll let you guys know when the site is set up. :)

Cheers,

Ash

Reply to
ashmodeus

you can also join and leave posts etc. in the

Oh yeah forgot to mention before, awesome site Murray. Looks like you have some cool gear and projects in the works! I'll trawl it tomorrow for info :) Here is the direct link to the AusRobotics Club group on Facebook:

CoyoteBoy, I was in the same situation when I moved to the UK for a couple of years about 5 years ago. In my case however I was looking for robotics jobs to get started in the field as I had done CompSci at uni. No luck for me unfortunately but good luck to you!

Regards,

Ash

Reply to
ashmodeus

you can also join and leave posts etc. in the

Please ignore the crappy SPAM below - The website is now set up at

for those interested in joining :)

ash

Reply to
ashmodeus

Hi Ash,

My name is Michael and I am only a newcomer to robotics, but I have a background as a mechanic.

I have been working with some freetronics kits to learn the basic operation and programming of ICs. I

struggle a bit with the programming but some of it is starting to stick.

Other wise it is a lot of fun. The other thing I find hard is getting certain bits and peices.

I think it would be great to start a club for the reasons you preseneted previous.

Regards Michael

Reply to
Michael