Beginner needs help choosing microcontroller platform & software

I think as a beginner, you don't have enough information to evaluate an advanced product, no offense. The embedded market covers the a very wide range of customers. Many advanced products are better funded, have better documentation, because their market is a professional one that must produce good results quickly.

The IsoPod is applicable to all, but is not limited to, the following:

Rank beginner who is willing to sit down, learn forth, and program in an atypical paradigm compared to a lot of the embedded industry. A user who wants to have an OS, without paying the performance penalty. ( yes, forth is an OS in effect.) Someone who has a project that requires a LOT of hardware interfacing, but does not wish to tackle it with a PC. Someone who wants to use a lot of R/C servos. Someone who wants to read a lot of encoders or analog signals. Someone who wants to use FSM architecture to control behavior in order to avoid rats nest conditionals.

My experience includes programming in C, assy on the 6502 & PIC, C on the ARM, AVR, Python, and forth. I generally prefer forth and Python for work related stuff.

I worked for many years on a motion control crane using PCs but got it working really well using forth. It reads 5 quadrature encoders, does high resolution velocity calculations on 3 of them in addition, using additional timers, reads a serial stream, outputs a serial stream, and does a hell of a lot of calculus. This is a real time motion control system, so all maths must be done in a fixed period time. The IsoPod does this, and leaves processor time enough to allow the forground task for other functions.

Just because it tackles something of that massive complexity, doesn't mean it is a complex product however, just powerful.

Additionally, I have done the following: I have also wired up 6 mini pods on CANBUS to build a robotic centipede. Built a 6 leg, 3 axis per leg hexapod using one ServoPod that does complete inverse kinematics solutions per ler leg at 60 hz More 3 wheeled bots than I cane to remember with PlugaPods

When I came aboard my new job, Feb 2005, I was quite pleased to find many IsoPod related products in use by a majority of the embedded programmers there. I work at a think tank with many clients that demand good results quickly. We are able to do this with IsoPods because its language is fast, the hardware is powerful, and the programming paradigm is fast and efficient.

Mike

Reply to
blueeyedpop

The "pod" wasn't on my list, but it is now. However, what sort of beginner documentation is there? Is the manual suitable? Are there sample projects? Kits? I'm not seeing much like that on

although I've only skimmed the obvious locations. A "Beginners start here" button would be nice that walks you through what it is and what is available to get you started.

Reply to
MrMJPEG

Go to

Click the "Downloads" button on the top of the home page.

Click the 'Pod(TM) Download page

at the top of the Downloads page.

Second like on the 'Pod(TM) Download page is IsoPod(TM) Presentation in HTML or PPT. It will give you an overview.

Then read manuals and appnotes at will.

Reply to
Randy M. Dumse

The manual gives relitively good instructions on getting going from the ground up.

Forth is a good approach in that it helps teach you how to factor a problem.

Is a good place to start too. It is the online version of Leo Brodie's book "starting FORTH."

New Micros has a well attended forum as well.

here is some fun stuff:

my centipede, now living at the advanced robotics research institute in Texas.

Images through an optical mouse and ancillary lensing system.

My LynxMotion hexapod
Moco lives inside this crane...
Not an IsoPod, but FORTH

blueeyedpop

Thanks Gordon. That's

You'll also find it's sister board the MAVRIC-IB there also - similar design with more on-board support for common additions (real time clock, extra RAM, more EEPROM). The MAVRIC-IIB is the smaller leaner sibling, and I believe the most popular.

For a small sample of what you can do with it see the sample code section here:

Also, take a look at how one DARPA Grand Challenge team used it:

Insight Racing finished 12th overall with over 26 miles autonomous.

One of the great things about the AVRs is the free development environment GCC. Unlike many processors, the AVR instruction set was designed from the beginning to support high level languages like C so it is easy for the compiler to produce high quality code. And GCC is an exceptional C compiler that rivals many commercial products in terms of code quality and size, but is available freely and open source as it has been through out is several decade long history. The environment is built on Unix so if you use Unix/Linux/MacOS X, etc, you will be right at home. For folks using Windows, a pre-built package is available with all the GCC goodies called WinAVR.

Of course, other languages are availabe like BASIC if you like that as well as FORTH if you like that. Also, several economical commercial C compilers are available if that is more suited to your needs over GCC. The AVRs are very popular and the on-line community is active and helpful. There are lots of options so you have a variety of capable processors and third-party boards to choose from. What you learn from using one AVR processor is directly transferable to all the others.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Dean