button pusher thingy

Hello, I am new to the robotics field and i have a question. My friend has one of these things that he found in a printer that when you run a
current through it, it pulls the rod down and when you disconnect the current, the spring pushes the rod back up. See photos for linked below to deal with my crappy description... Just for kicks, I wrote a guitar hero playing computer program, and I want to make it into a robotic mechanism. See the pictures for details. I am wondering what it is called and if there is any other better (and cheap) parts that can work with my project.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/493354668_48832d8e4a.jpg?v=0 http://farm1.static.flickr.com/224/493354660_cd1ff88f15.jpg?v=0 http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/493354636_9193be1769.jpg?v=0
Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Solenoid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid
good luck

On Fri, 10 May 2007, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Almost certainly, once you learn what a solenoid is, you might also be interested to find out about "relays"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relay
-