control of 24vac motors?

I'm pretty new to electronics and was wondering what it would take to control two 24AC motors on a pan/tilt head with 12V DC and have a
variable speed setting? Is this very tough? I'm not sure how 24VAC motors are controlled.
I'm thinking something like a joystick for pan/tilt and then a slider switch for the speed setting. It needs to run off 12VDC (auto) though. I'm trying to make a remote video camera pointer.
Thanks.
Joe
joe_d snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Servo control of small AC motors is something of a headache. It's quite possible, but you're probably better off finding a pan/tilt head with built in controls. Take a look at some options here:
http://www.21best.com/21_best/electronic/security/video/pan_tilt/for_sale_.html
                John Nagle                 Animats
Yaa, I saw that site, thanks though. The controller for the pan/tilt I want (the heavy duty outdoor one) takes 110VAC though, plus it doesn't seem like it has adjustable rate on it.
Boy, I would really like to up the speed a little too, 6 deg a second is pretty slow.
Joe