do human looking robots exist yet?

Hi All

Just a query. I was wandering if there are any robots that look and to a certain extent move like people do? I have seen the robot Honda have developed and it seems very good but are there any with a more human appearance in existence?

Thanks

Corlioni1976

Reply to
corlioni1976

the honda robots walk like they're trying to hold something in, but they are acceptable i suppose. as for looking human, androidworld has lots of info on projects worldwide, and they're selling some stuff. of particular interest is a non-anatomically correct silicone android covering that's in the form of human-female that they are selling. it's not the least bit difficult to hire somebody to be a model for an android skin, though they might be a little more willing to do a head and hand cast, just say, 'it'll possibly make you famous'.

Reply to
jim dorey

Not really. For one, the technology isn't quite there yet. And second, there's a prevailing theory first postulated by robotist Masahiro Mori, which states that unless the immitation is flawless, the minor discrepancies will make the robot seem "creepy" and grotesque.

Chris S.

The technology just isn't there yet. I mean look at Al Gore... absolutely abysmal.

Reply to
Rob

well, there is a lot of leeway when 'to a certain extent' is uttered, robosapien could be said to move like a human if you really get loose with meaning.

Reply to
jim dorey

The Scientific term for animal (human) automaton is animatronics; maybe try a Google search?

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Clarke

Reply to
Mr Clarke

Do a search for Fumio Hara.

Here's one link:

Danh

corli> Hi All

Reply to
dttworld

You may be interested in

were some videos of this robot dancing on some of the japanese news media last week and it looked amazingly natural, but I can't find any working links now.

Reply to
Stuart McGraw

link should be

Reply to
Stuart McGraw

Reply to
Tim Polmear

The real question is: would human-like robots wander around newsgroups and write trolls and start flame wars in an obsessive manner?

When they do, we know our robots have really become humans. ;-)

Reply to
Guillaume

you been watching 'puppets who kill' all the way down in .au?

Reply to
jim dorey

Reply to
Tim Polmear