do human looking robots exist yet?

Hi All
Just a query. I was wandering if there are any robots that look and to a certain extent move like people do? I have seen the robot Honda have
developed and it seems very good but are there any with a more human appearance in existence?
Thanks
Corlioni1976
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:46:28 -0000, corlioni1976

the honda robots walk like they're trying to hold something in, but they are acceptable i suppose. as for looking human, androidworld has lots of info on projects worldwide, and they're selling some stuff. of particular interest is a non-anatomically correct silicone android covering that's in the form of human-female that they are selling. it's not the least bit difficult to hire somebody to be a model for an android skin, though they might be a little more willing to do a head and hand cast, just say, 'it'll possibly make you famous'.
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

corlioni1976 wrote:

Not really. For one, the technology isn't quite there yet. And second, there's a prevailing theory first postulated by robotist Masahiro Mori, which states that unless the immitation is flawless, the minor discrepancies will make the robot seem "creepy" and grotesque.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Masahiro+Mori%22+uncanny+valley&btnG=Google+Search
Hence all the psychopathic ventriloquist dummies.

you been watching 'puppets who kill' all the way down in .au?
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

No, but there was one in "The Talons of Weng Chiang", or if you prefer, one of the bad guys in 'Ace Lightning' was a dummy, and who could forget Chucky - though he was a doll or something.

corlioni1976 wrote:

The technology just isn't there yet. I mean look at Al Gore... absolutely abysmal.

well, there is a lot of leeway when 'to a certain extent' is uttered, robosapien could be said to move like a human if you really get loose with meaning.
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

The Scientific term for animal (human) automaton is animatronics; maybe try a Google search? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Clarke -------------------------------------------------------

Do a search for Fumio Hara.
Here's one link: http://www.sut.ac.jp/edocs/edu/kouga/research.html
Danh
corlioni1976 wrote:

to a

You may be interested in http://www.plyojump.com/hrp.html and http://www.cvl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/research_2004/research_e_2004.htm/dance_imitation.pdf These were some videos of this robot dancing on some of the japanese news media last week and it looked amazingly natural, but I can't find any working links now.

Oops, I wrote...

http://www.cvl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/research_2004/research_e_2004.htm/dance_imitation.pdf That link should be

The real question is: would human-like robots wander around newsgroups and write trolls and start flame wars in an obsessive manner?
When they do, we know our robots have really become humans. ;-)