great bargains at close-out Radio Shacks

This may be old news to some but I thought it worth posting anyway.
At least in the Atlanta area, there are several Radio Shacks that
are closing down. As a consequence, at some of these closeout stores you can find incredible bargains in the components bins and other areas. Not to mention great bargains on Vex kits. Everything goes including store fixtures.
I discovered this when I went to the local Radio Shack in a big mall nearby and found they only had one (of the usual 2) parts bins left, and even that one was picked clean. I couldn't even find a decent DPTP switch and *no* capacitors (for motor noise suppression) ! Then someone told me about the closeout stores nearby and I got all the capacitors I need for all the motors I have; a few screw terminals; a couple of switches and more for just over $7.00 --- I'm sure would have run me about $35 normal price! A few days later I got one of the neat multi-voltage power supplys (with the different adapter tips) a few more terminals; a few more solid state goodies; 2 Vex Limit Switch kits (for less than $3.00 each) all for about 19 bucks. They also had some other Vex goodies that I almost bought even though I have written off that system for my particular needs (the limit switches appear to be easy to mount and will go on my current non-Vex robot) - they had some wheel kits with their version of Omni wheels and other big diameter wheels that could be adapted to non-Vex platforms with some careful drilling. Plus they handed out $10 Discount Coupons (good at the open stores) by the handful.
Just had to spread the news for those that didn't already know ...
Good luck on parts hunting ! JCDeen

Richmond area too. Cardboard boxes full of component stock, 5 items for $1.
Radio Shack is terminating their components divison. Stores with that as their profit center (or even driving their profit centers.. "go in for a switch, come out with a RoboRaptor") are being shut down all over the place.
You can go to the radioshack.com site, hit the Store Locator button, and enter your Zip code. The stores that are closing are marked with a $ sign.
RS is folding back and closing some of their under-performing stores (which, historically, it has always had), and those stores in higher-priced strip malls. I think fewer than 10% are slated for closing, though I suppose more could be added as time goes on.
RS just lost their CFO, this on the heals of their CEO quitting after admitting to lying on his resume regarding degrees he never received. We demand more of the companies selling us resistors and capacitors, dammit!
-- Gordon
pogo wrote:

button, and

a $

Great tip Gordon! I had no idea there were so many Radio Shack stores in my area. There are over 11 that are closing within 18 miles of my location. Good grief! About twice that many that are remaing open.