Revell-Monogram bargains

I've recently re-discovered the older Revell and Monogram kits, and they're some of the last true bargains around, in my opinion. I
recently finished the 1/48 F-105G and it came out beautifully, and am now working on their 1/48 F-106. I picked that one up at Michael's craft store for about $15, and the only after-market I'm going to use is a set of decals.
I love these kits. They're not over-engineered; they're well-detailed and inexpensive. And, I actually like the raised panel lines, the disadvantage being some of them are lost during filling/sanding. Oh well, I don't care. I'm having fun again!
If you're in a rut in this hobby, with the over-priced, over- engineered and ill-fitting kits today, return to your roots and try out some Century-series jets from Revell/Monogram. It's working for me.
peace, david
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:17:41 -0800 (PST), David Young

Lost raised panel lines can be restored with some streched sprue. A bit fiddly but do-able I think. Easier than sanding off -all- the panel lines and rescribing. ;)
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 11, 2:45 pm, snipped-for-privacy@ripnet.com wrote:

My favorite from this series is the T-6
Add pictures here
✖

Ocidental from Portugal did a nice T-6 if you see one around. Did one a while back in RNZAF markings and have an Aurora one in stash although that has insignia location moulded in which will mean careful removal.
Tony.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:17:41 -0800 (PST), David Young

Agree 100% David. After the frustration and swearimng generated by the poor quality and attrocious fit of an Airfix Canberra B(I)8 in 1:48, I have regained my sanity by starting a Monogram Fokker D.VII. Everything fits, same as their Camel I did recently. I build models for fun, not to spend hours buried in reference works and adding parts that can only be seen with a microscope and dentist's mirror
Tony Chch NZ
Add pictures here
✖

Fantastic. If I get overwhelmed with my stash and kits with too many parts, I always go home to a basic Revell, Monogram airplane or a basic Tamiya 1/35 armor kit. They always work and never cause problems.
Craig
Add pictures here
✖
I went back to Michael's and they had Monogram's 1/48 B-58. I have wanted to build that thing forever, so much so that I set aside my F-106 and dived into the B-58 immediately. It's going to be a beauty, and once again it's simply engineered. Sure, there'll be some filling, but I think just about every kit I've build has some.
peace, david
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 06:45:34 -0800 (PST), David Young

Just to make you grind your teeth I recommend picking up a copy of the November issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling. Many pages devoted to the B-58 and to the Monogram model of same. The cover blurb says it all, "Monogram's venerable 1:48th Hustler gets rescribed", so you know where they're going with that.... ;) Still, there's lot's of photo's of the real thing and a nice colour porofile that might be useful for us OOB types.
I've got a number of pairs of kit where I have the ancient Revell or Hasegawa vs the spiffy new Trumpeter or what ever. It is my aim, (should I live long enough), to build these kits in tandem. I'm thinking that the newer kits will be prettier but the old ones will be more fun.
Add pictures here
✖
OOB-type. Yep, that's me. I've done my share of resin and scratch- building, and I've put all that aside. About the only thing I'll add nowadays, if I'm building a jet, is (occasionally) a resin ejection seat. But I don't even do that all the time. In fact, I'm using the kit seat for the F-106 and adding *nothing* to the B-58. I'll concentrate on shading for the metallic finish.
Thanks for the tips.
peace, david
Add pictures here
✖