Home-Made Computers

Hey all, I was looking to buy a computer, most preferably a laptop, but the prices were absolutely ridiculous. I was thinking about building my own
desktop, which I could. I can make a computer better than DELL XPS for a cheaper price. But then again, I really want a laptop. I was wondering if there is any way to build a laptop by myself?
Another question: I may be buying a laptop from Gateway, which is pretty good and the price floats around $1.300. The thing is, it only has a 40GB internal hard drive (with more than 40GB it would be too pricy). So, are external hard drives used only for backing up, or can I also use them as a normal hard drive, to install/play games on, to surf the web on, etc?
Thanks!
spartan3 FPGA + PSONE + Nicad battery + wireless keyboard ----------------------------- $160 and you build it yourself, 10+ hours battery life instead of 2 hours.
Rich
Alright.... but I was kinda looking for a laptop. I want to use it for college, to be able to print stuff and use an external USB and all that. It would be much easier. If anyone can tell me....
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Find out what the college requires, and see if they have any good discounts available.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This sounds interesting... got any links ?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
> I was looking to buy a computer, most preferably a laptop, but the > prices were absolutely ridiculous. I was thinking about building my own
Wrong newsgroup.
> I was wondering if there is any way to build a laptop by myself?
No. Laptops generally use custom integrated components. The keyboard is built into the frame which also has custom-molded speaker ports and touchpad... Its cheaper, easier, and more reliable to buy the complete product. Memory, wireless cards, and hard drives are about the only easily changed parts.

I'm typing this on an $800 Acer Aspire 9503 laptop (bought online with rebate). Sells for $1k at the local Circuit City. Not a gaming rig, but it suits my needs. Peruse sites like newegg.com, mwave.com, and others for laptops and also PC parts.

If that's the only problem, consider buying a new internal hard drive. Much more convenient than an external. Often faster too. Often cheaper on the open market than as an "upgrade". External drives basically work the same as internal drives, but USB does add latency (delay), and they're inconvenient to carry with a laptop. Other than that, an external drive can have games, programs, etc.
Daniel
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Get thee to a Best Buy. Gateway AMD64, 80GB drive, 512 MB RAM, about 800 bucks. Only in the stores near as I can tell.