i2c physical interface?

To All involved:
These are great discussions.
The priorities of any project is what needs to done verses what you like
to do.
Pushing a technology past its design limits is load of fun.
Getting a project working in a reasonable time is another.
I like KISs, Keep It Simple silly.
Use hardware instead of software, communications I feel should always hardware. Few chips has I2C native in the hardware. AVR is one.
I hope the OP has some good ideas for his project. I also hope the OP will keep us all informed on the status of his project.
Donald
Donald wrote:

Most PICs that have SPI also have I2C (using the same pins so it's pretty much one or the other).
Most I2C devices can be run off of a PC motherboard's SMBus.
That being said, I prefer SPI for short-range high-speed communications. However, I prefer RS-485 for inter-module communication. -- D. Jay Newman _Linux Robotics: Building Smarter Robots_