Intercomponent wiring culture

I got almost all components that would be needed for my robot, connected, positioned on chassis, tested together. I know that I am bad with laying out wires between controllers, PC, sensors
and motors. What is best practice to follow for wiring, selection of connector and wire types? Any advices, books, links?
Ek
P.S. Approximate chassis size 12"x12"x12" might be needed.

a certain gauge of wire will safely(consistently) carry a certain amount of power, so that's one thing to check on. the maximum power draw of the motor, that determines the gauge between the motor and the controller. the amount of power the controller will dissipate+the power that gets passed to the motor, you need a fitting gauge between the controller and the batteries. connectors will have a rating that tells maximum current and maximum resistance, exceed the maximum current and the connector will melt, exceed maximum resistance and current will bleed to other conductors, either the connector will conduct, or will allow arcing when that limit is exceeded.     for high frequency signals you will need to use bypass caps to keep noise out and you will also need to keep signal wires separated so they don't induce signals in each other, you can use shielded cable if you like, tie one end of the shield to chassis ground.     often you can get away with using plain old household lamp wire and household plugs. i suppose if you would like some examples of good electronics connectors somebody, maybe me, will chime in.

Suppose I got right wires and connectors to carry current to motors and boards.
Can I put them together and lay down along the edges of the chassis or it is better to pull them in the shortest way? What is best way to minimize electrical and magnetic noise? Is there any link to a project/book that describes all in simple rules [in pictures :-]?
Ek

short runs are generally better, long runs act as antennas. high frequency signals that are on long runs can benefit from a simple little ferrite bead, usually. however, keep the runs away from noisy components, motors don't need high frequency shielding, coils generally filter out high frequencies and motors would simply reject the noise, but brushed dc motors produce noise like a wet/hungry/500lb baby. have the majority of the cables spider-web out from the controller, wires in perpendicular have less crosstalk, in most robots that have a modular build the wires are already layed out in a spider web fashion.     http://www.cadence.com/whitepapers/sdi102501.pdf has some info of interest.

Thanks a lot. Ek