Locomotion Questions

Hello; what would be the best choice of motor for a 4 foot tall by 1.5 foot diameter robot? The 'bot is going to be driven by a pair of whatever you guys recommend and a stabilizing rear caster. I'm using a 12v gelcell battery. I'd like them to have built in encoders of some kind (optical/shaft), and they're probably going to need to be geared as i want to load around 100 pounds onto this platform. It doesn't necessarily matter whether they are plain old DC brushed rigs or a stepper setup, although i'm a beginner so whatever is easiest to control would be the preference. The brain for the platform is an asus motherboard with a PII 266mhz CPU reading data and controlling the motors using oopic-r boards on two serial ports. Thanks for your help, any suggestions would be great along with somewhere i can look to get them. There aren't any surplus or electronic stores where i am so i'll need to get them online if possible. Also, H-bridges to go with the motors...any suggestions there? Thanks again, Will

Reply to
Bacchanalian

Wheelchair motors are made for that sort of stress. I think you may need more than one battery; wheelchair motors are normally 24 volts.

You can get some from:

They also sell various controllers.

My initial impression is that these dimensions may tip over under any sort of acceleration.

You may want to look at the book _How to Build an All-Terrain Robot_ for construction techniques.

-- D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman

Another book that deals with large robot bases this size is "Applied Robotics II" by Edwin Wise (2002) - not to be confused with "Applied Robotics I" by Edwin Wise (1999), which is an entirely different book.

- dan michaels

Reply to
dan michaels

I think the title is "Build Your Own All-Terrain Robot", sorry about that.

Yes, I liked the _Applied Robotics II_, even though it seemed to me to be parts of two totally different books. I like both parts.

-- D. Jay Newman

Reply to
D. Jay Newman