math and gears

I need some information that will help to build a robot arm, I need some help on calculating the gearing so that a joint can hold up the rest of the
arm and not damage the servos. Also calculate the type of servos/motors need torque wise to move the setup.
I am hoping there is some math that I can adopt?
many thanks
Andi
Click here for basic gear training.
    http://www.bostongear.com/training/gearology.asp