MicroSys SBC1190 problems

<I've asked this on comp.arch.embedded, but haven't got any useful responses yet...
I got one of the SBC1190's off of EBAY from Alltronics:
http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/24C004/search/Microsys%2DSBC1190
It's an embedded PC104 80C188 with 512K Flash & Ram.
The board is as it is, no ROM in U12 socket. (MicroSys website shows a ROM in that socket)
And I'm having trouble with its configuration and startup.
At power-up, the PWR LED blinks, but I'm not getting any response on the PC (hyperterm) its connected thru at COM1.
<update- I am getting a "hearbeat" signal on COM2, but it doesn't decode at any baud rate, maybe a nonprinting char?>
I called MicroSys and they want $50 for their DK1190 developers kit: 2 cables and the manual!
The 4 page "brochure" on MicroSys' website has the pinouts of the connectors but not the default jumper settings.
I sent their tech support an email today and am waiting for a reply.
Has anyone here got one of these? Alltronics tells me they got them from a bankrupt company as new and "sold about a hundred of them and no one ever reported any trouble"