OT- Modem Problems

Yes, I know Its OT, but I guess there is someone here who can help, before subscribing to some other group, which is not easy when you hear what the problem is.....

(Dads Computer) Just upgraded to XP (I know!) and had to fit a new modem....Now the problem starts when connected to the net.... The computer will talk to the server and download messages whilst you do nothing else with the system, but open a website while the E-mails download (or another programme), or after they have completed and the modem just drops out after a few seconds for no reason, or fails to find the web page and then drops out....

Guess there is a setting wrong somewhere in the set-up of the modem, but anyone got any useful suggestions (Other than uninstalling XP, which is not an option!)

please reply group as home address and this address are spamfiltered and may go into oblivion!

-- Andy Sollis CVMRD

- Home of the Churnet Valley Model Railway Department Remove the Standard Tank from E-mail to reply

Reply to
CVMRD

grasping at straws, (assuming you are using Outlook or Outlook express here)....have you got Outlook or Outlook Express set to hang-up after the receiving/send of mail is complete ??

for Outlook check...

Tools|Options|Mail Delivery... make the sure the 'Hang up when finished sending receiving or updating' tick box is unchecked

For Outlook Express check...

Tools|Options|Connection make sure the 'Hang up after sending and receiving' tick box is unchecked.

As I said, I'm grasping at straws here, but having these boxes checked will demonstrate behaviour similar to what you are experiencing.

Cheers

Reply to
Mal

Reply to
DiggerDave

MAL, Thanks, but thats not the problem. both checked and not the case...

Andy

Reply to
CVMRD

=>MAL, => Thanks, but thats not the problem. both checked and not the case... =>

=>Andy

It sounds to me that you you have a "winmodem", not a real one. A winmodem is one whose functions are almost all performed by the OS -- ie, in software. If the modem came with the computer when you bought it as Windows 9x machine, then it's almost certainly awinmodem. The software has to be written specifically for the OS you are using, in this case WinXP. Fiddling with the settings in OE will _not_ work. You need new XP-specific software to run that modem.

If the winmodem is a relatively new one - ie, a couple of years old or younger, you may find such a driver on the manufacturer's website. If it's older, say 3-4 years or more, you are probably SOL - there's not much point in writing updated drivers for a product that most people will replace when they replace their old computer with a new one. Upgrading to XP is not the usual route, after all.

If it is not a winmodem, then it is probably not "Hayes compatible", for WinXP will run any plain-vanilla real modem out of the box. (You may have to set com-port speed, etc.) A search of the manufacturer's website may provide the correct XP driver, but IMO it's unlikely, since, again, it's hardly worthwhile writing a new driver for a modem that will stay in a computer when someone buys a new one.

My advice: Trash the modem (Uninstall it, then open the box and pull it out.) Then buy a real modem, preferably an external one. It will work with any OS on any computer. Win2000/XP will run it with no trouble at all.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote My advice: Trash the modem (Uninstall it, then open the box and pull it out.)

Wolf, Er, in actual fact, yes it is a brand new modem, as the previous was not XP compatible, although it stayed connected, even after disconnecting! The system had to be re-booted to drop the phone line!

We were wondering if any of the old modem drivers may be conflicting with the new ones, so we are going to try putting the old one back and uninstalling again, before re-installing the new one and see if this b*ggers the computer any more... Until then, I'm at a loss, but Thanks for the great advice....

Back to the drawing board (or is it paint shop pro?)

Andy

Reply to
CVMRD

=>We were wondering if any of the old modem drivers may be conflicting with =>the new ones, so we are going to try putting the old one back and =>uninstalling again, before re-installing the new one and see if this b*ggers =>the computer any more... Until then, I'm at a loss, but Thanks for the great =>advice....

Yes, it's quite possible that the old drivers are conflicting with the new ones. Win2000/XP is very flawed in this regard - you should be able to uninstall the old modem, and all references to it should disappear. However, this usually does not happen. You have to edit the registry. (W2K/XP has the same problem with printers, BTW. Bah!)

So, uninstall the old modem; search for and delete any remaining software; edit the registry; shut down. plug in the new modem; reboot. Windows should see the new modem, and either install a generic driver, or ask you for the manufactuer-supplied river. If you haven't done it before, you should get some tutoring in editing the registry - it's easy to mess things up (though if it's not too bad, a reboot will usually repair the registry - MS got at least that much more or less right.)

OTOH, you may find that it's the modem initialising string that's the problem. Some modems are very picky, others will accept several variations. I have also found that some modems are very unhappy with a Com port speed above

53600 -- eg, I replaced a USRobotics modem that worked well with 115200, but the plain-vanilla replacement refused to work with that port speed.
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Nah, Got me baffled now... It still drops out on Websites but not e-mail... I don't know if Dad has tried the swap yet, he's on shift and I'm not, so not seen him!...

Where's me lap top?

Andy

variations. I

Reply to
CVMRD

Andy..... meant to say any problems when installing not downloading. Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith