Mk 2d coaches 00 gauge

A friend of mine has asked what liveries the full size versions have appeared in. From a modelling point of view, I've seen them in blue/grey, Intercity Executive, Virgin and Anglia. Any more? - and what about the full size versions? I seem to recall a rake in maroon? Kind regards. Tony

Reply to
tony pritchard

When they first came out, there were MK2 coaches in maroon and SR green.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

John,

I think you are right! Thats why I put MK2 without a following letter.

I remember seeing a green one at Waterloo, rather smart I thought!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

The Mk2ds I recall seeing in maroon were in something like Rail magazine, within the last few months - although the mag may have been an old one, but not THAT old! They could have been Mk3s though - I wasn't paying that much attention at the time. I also seem to think it was to do with South Wales - Valley Lines?

The Mk2as did first appear in maroon. I recall seeing them back in the sixties. Also some preservation groups have them repainted in maroon.

Tony

Reply to
tony pritchard

I think you will find that all mk2's (from introduction)were in the=20 blue/grey intercity livery.........see below

the (recent) maroon repaint is so that they look better on charter=20 trains/railtours making them look old fashioned !!!

all slam door stock will be withdrawn eventually due to health & safety

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""= ""

=2E........and this from Colin Fraser-Davies website entitled BR=20 Chronology.. When did things happen on British Railways after=20 Nationalisation?

In 1964 the blue/livery was introduced - Red and cream coach livery=20 became extinct /XP64 prototype train on trial /Last build of Mk1 coaches

1965 Mk2 coaches introduced / Title 'British Rail' adopted Corporate image adopted (Corporate Identity Programme)

1967 Mk2A coaches introduced

1968 Mk2B coaches introduced

1969 Mk2C coaches introduced

1971 Mk2D air-conditioned coaches entered service

19?? Mk2E air-conditioned coaches entered service

19?? Mk2F air-conditioned coaches entered service

1976 Production HSTs enter service on WR / Mark III loco-hauled coaches=20 enter service on WCML

1982 Mark III sleeping cars introduced

1983 Executive Intercity livery adopted

For more information on BR Mark 2 coaches you are strongly advised to=20 read the master work on this subject - the book "British Rail Mark 2=20 Coaches - the design that launched InterCity, by Michael Harris=20 published by Mallard/Venture ISBN 1 898432 48 1".

this is an extract...=09

"The BR Mark 2 coaches are a remarkable link between the steam age=20 railway, the birth of InterCity in 1966, and the successful development=20 of that business - especially through the 1980`s to the emergence since=20

1994 of the privatised railway. Over 400 have been thoroughly modernised =

to serve the privatised companies and will take the operation of Mark 2s =

through into the new century. The very existence of the Mark 2s was=20 something of a happy chance. If it hadn`t been for the Western Region`s=20 engineering management of the 1950`s taking the initiative to design an=20 integrally constructed carriage, InterCity would have been without a=20 basic tool to develop its business and product from the mid 1960`s. The=20 Mark 2`s have not always enjoyed a good press but author, Michael=20 Harris, feels that they deserve a better hearing, and some=20 rehabilitation of their image. No other vehicle design at any time on=20 British railways had to be adapted so extensively, to incorporate=20 electric train heating, air braking and air conditioning=85.."

and from the Southern E Group website...

"The British Railways Mark 2 coach design emerged from a design exercise =

into integral carriage design undertaken by the Western Region's Swindon =

works in 1958. This followed on from their earlier design and=20 construction of Inter City DMUs. Mark 2 construction was undertaken in=20 distinct stages each being an incremental evolution from Mark 1 design,=20 and these are popularly referred to as sub-marks. Only the early=20 production types and sub-marks a, b and c will be covered here.

The early production Mk 2s entered service in 1965, they were vacuum=20 braked only and their main distinguishing feature was that their=20 vestibule end panels were manufactured in dark green glass fibre. Mk 2a=20 coaches emerged in 1967 and they (and later marks) were air braked with=20 the main distinguishing feature being leaf green glass fibre end=20 vestibule panels and gangway doors. Mk 2b designs were introduced in=20

1968 and their vestibule end panels and gangway doors were of orange-red =

glass fibre. Finally the Mk 2c emerged in 1969 and whilst similar to=20 the Mk 2b their interior ceiling was of a different profile and lighting =

layout to accommodate later installation of air-conditioning (never=20 fitted). Additionally Mk 2b/c coaches are recognisable from the early=20 and Mk 2a designs as they had 3ft wide wrap-around-corner-hinged=20 entrance doors and concertina gangway doors. Additionally Mk2b/c second =

opens did not the have centre vestibules and entrance doors of the early =

and Mk 2a designs."

cheers David A. Pritchard

t> The Mk2ds I recall seeing in maroon were in something like Rail

Reply to
Derbyducks

Tony, This is a question I asked when we had 2 Mk2 coaches arrive on the CVR a few years ago.... Although these two (one has since left) would not have worn Maroon, I was assured that the first ones (maybe prototypes?) did run in maroon, although, I confess, I have never found a photo to prove or dis-prove this!

-- Andy Sollis CVMRD

- Home of the Churnet Valley Model Railway Department Remove the Standard Tank from E-mail to reply

Reply to
CVMRD

In my copy of "Rolling stock :1 Coaching Stock" by Colin J. Marsden, Ian Allan

1983, there is a photo on page 34 of one of the prototype Mk2 FK coaches. This was the very first Mk2 prototype and was Swindon built in 1963, bearing the number W13252 and very clearly in lined Maroon livery. I cannot instantly find any other pictures of Mk2 coaches in maroon, not to say that none exist, as I have a feeling I have seen some contemporary ones and also SR green ones.

In "British Rail 1948-83 A Journey by Design" by Brian Haresnape, Ian Alan 1983 there is a picture of one of the first series of Mk2A coaches which were built at Derby and finished in Blue/Grey for the newly electrified WCML.

So the livery issue becomes a bit clearer. Some Mk2 coaches, at least one prototype appeared in Maroon and probably SR green. All others from Mk2A onwards appeared in Blue/Grey. The Pullman versions had a "reverse" livery of grey body and a blue window band.

Alex. W. Stirrat.

Reply to
AlStirrat

Going back to 2d coaches, I can add Great Western livery to the list - the 'new' GW, not chocolate & cream - now, there's a thought!

Tony Pritchard

Reply to
tony pritchard

Also - Great Western Trains, First Great Western, original Scotrail, BR Provincial, NSE.

--

***
*** - updated 19 August Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

Did aircon MkIIs receive NSE livery? Anyhow, to add to the list; Gatwick Express (bit too much like IC Executive livery, though), and the blue Railtrack livery that some ex-Gatwick stock seen at Derby has

- a test train of some sort?

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

Reply to
David E. Belcher

Provincial, NSE.

Only two aircon Mk2s received NSE, as far as I can tell. The 1989 Platform 5 Coaching Stock book lists the following with "N" livery:

Mk2D TSO 5525 Mk2D FK 13573

One can be seen in this pic:

Although the comments claim this to be 13575, I think it's actually 13573

--

***
*** - updated 19 August Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)
Reply to
Rich Mackin

here i am ...... ready to say something stupid......

the way the nse stock was cascaded (wr blue/grey stock.... i think !) i don't think there was ever any a/c mk2's in nse livery

here i am ready to be proved wrong !!!!!!

btw you can see a rather tatty a/c mk2 at derby advertising an american airline... delta i think... a repainted gatwick express coach no doubt

cheers david a. pritchard

David E. Belcher wrote:

Reply to
Derbyducks