Mounting motors to wheels at an offset

Hi, I am about to build a robot with two differential drive wheels, and have bought some 12 volt Globe DC gear motors (#409A582) that are
pretty long (6" including shaft). This makes it impossible for me to mount these motors directly to the wheel shaft. So I need a different setup where the motors lie side by side with a pair of gears to drive the wheels, or where the motors are at an 90 degree angle to the drive wheels with a bevel gear or something similar.
Where do I find these kinds of couplings? I have looked around but cannot find gear-sets that can be bought online.
It would also be nice if the gears would be able to gear up one level (1:2) too since the motors are unfortunately geared a bit low for my taste (got the motors cheaply so I couldnt resist).
I have also been looking for good drive wheel axle setups where the axle from the wheel is held in place, but cant find an online source for this either.
Happy to receive any suggestions. JC
Bevel gears: http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/gbb.cfm
--
- Alan Kilian <alank(at)timelogic.com>
Director of Bioinformatics, TimeLogic Corporation 763-449-7622