Plastic Materials

Has anyone used Sintra, Trovacil to make there robot chassis? The material is an expaned foam that comes in various metric thickness and is easy to cut, glue, tap, and bend. Any draw backs or problems with static?

Thanks,

ENaasz

Reply to
ENaasz

We used sintra to make a robot frame:

look at #20 for the A&A frame

Reply to
Andrew Schwartz

I use Sintra for all my robots lately. Very easy to work with (drills easily, cuts best with a router) and no static problems. It is both strong and light. Sintra also paints quite easily. It can also be formed using a heat gun, and cemented with pvc cement available from any hardware store. 1/4" Sintra is widely available and cheap.

On largish robots you may find that Sintra, like most plastics, may sag under the weight of batteries or other heavy items, in which case you will either need to use a very thick piece (which can be expensive) or reinforce it with plywood or aluminum framing. For smaller robots, you should not see a problem. Definitely one of my favorite materials.

Reply to
the Artist Formerly Known as K

There are a lot of nice things about it as indicated by the previous posters.

But, because of the expanded foam core, it's not really rugged and it doesn't work too well if you want to secure fasteners directly into the material.

DOC

Reply to
DOC

Eh? I do this all the time without problems. Of course, I'm talking basic indoor, low speed use. I don't think I'd go with it if the robot is expected to take serious abuse.