Constitution Plastic)

I am in the market for the Revell Constitution in 1/96 scale. I notice the Revell Germany model is considerably more expensive than the Revell/Monogram item. Does anyone have any opinions about this? Any information would be most appreciated.

Scott Cashel Arlington, TX

Reply to
Scott Cashel

"Scott Cashel" wrote in news:JYdRb.120419$Rc4.941323@attbi_s54:

Revell Germany seems to want to gouge as mush as possible on the older long paid for molds. Which makes the secondary market much more attractive. I got mine for an absurdly low amount on eBay, one of the few really decent deals I got there last year (2003).

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Reply to
Grandpa

Please, pray tell as this is the point I am at.

After laying the gun deck I have noticed that there is a good gap of about

1/4" to 1/2" in places, I have even contemplated using 5min epoxy to glue the deck down just to bring the sides in, but that then rules out my plan of adding small "Xmas tree" lights inside for mood lighting.

"W" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:unkRb.100$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...

I observed the same with my kit, but I saw it just as another challenge ...

I used 8 clamps to let the glue dry one day. And I combined the three parts of the gun deck before setting them in on their place. Finally I found that it would be better _not_ to glue the gun deck but the upper deck only when placed on its supporting pins. The gun deck would not move inside considerably. Most things inside would be almost hidden, except at the cannon hatches.

BTW: did anyone some scratch to achieve some realistic thickness of the ships sides ? The hull is about 1mm thick, but due to its scale it should be 5-6 mm. I simply used pasteboard and paper, worked fine for me :) It gives a realistic impression at the cannon hatches and it is very easy to make, it took me just two days

Nice Idea ! Makes me think about some kind of trigger lights in the cannons for a Full Broadside Fire in a diorama, maybe ... That would be fun !

greetings from Germany, Jan

Reply to
Jan Gelbrich

This is where the twine came in. I wrapped and tied it about the hull in several places after glueing then stuck a pencil in the twine and twisted to get it tighter and held the pencil in place with clothes pins until the glue dried. It clamped the sides to the deck perfectly. After 2 days of letting it sit, I took off the twine and clamps and went along with super glue in those areas I could still get to a 2nd time. I'm working on the last of the masts and prepping for the rigging now, a year+ later and the hull has not even thought of coming apart.

For lighting I'd consider picking the side you wish to see and perhaps installing the lighting on the other side of the model. Maybe opening up two of the gun ports for access, or string it thru before gluing it up.

Reply to
Grandpa

One suggestion for a warped hull: After gluing the hull halves together (and clamping them), temporarily put in the deck pieces and wrap the whole assembly tightly with twine. Then fill your bathtub with the hottest water available and sink the hull in the tub. Let it stay in the hot water until the warpage straightens out.

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

It's basically the same kit. I think the price difference may be due to the unfavorable dollar-euro exchange rate. Maybe Revell Germany refreshed the molds. Anyway, I'd buy the Revell/Monogram version if it's available. Better yet, buy an older production of the kit on ebay

-- they usually sell for reasonable prices. If you go the ebay route, you should also consider the Revell United States -- it's the same kit with the refinement of the enclosed poop deck.

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

There is apparently no need to get the German Revell 1/96 U.S.S. Constitution because it is currently available from the US manufacturer for $70.95 MSRP.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

The two boxings are the same kit. If you are going to buy a big Constitution kit you have 3 choices to get the same kit:

  1. Revell Germany 0+
  2. Revell (USA) (discounted as low as in places)
  3. A second hand kit. ( I got mine on Ebay for.)

Your choice....

Reply to
RC Boater