Polymorph

I've been trying out this Polymorph stuff - basically a plastic that melts at about 62C and can be easily formed and re-formed into whatever shape you
want by hand. When cool it is suprisingly tough. I can see all sorts of applications to making bits of robots and so on. I have an item that I'm trying to machine that basically has nowhere to grip, so I'll try embedding it in this stuff ..
I'm impressed by everything but the price, which seems a bit steep - perhaps someone knows where to get it in reasonable quantity ?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo5511&TabID=1&source &WorldID=&doy$m11
< Usual Disclaimer>
Dave
--
Life is tough - sometimes you get nougat.

MUTR sell it slightly cheaper but not by much, 19:27 for 1Kg, 64:26 for 4Kg - http://www.mutr.co.uk/prodDetail.aspx?prodIDW6
says...

-
I bought some similar "generic" stuff at a local jewelry supply-house. It's used to hold small pieces and make tool handles. It's still expensive, but I don't think as much as yours.

you
Does it go soft/ flexible again from hand/ warm room temperature? What is the ideal "hard" temperaure in your experience? Can it be machined once hard or does cutting friction cause "gunging-up"?
I`m interested in trying some!

At 20C it looks and behaves like nylon. Machining with an end mill was no worse than any other thermoplastic, although the cut surface is a little rough. (When you let it cool from 'molten' the surface is smooth and a little glossy). At 'warm to the hand' temperature it gives a little when you squeeze, but returns to shape when you let go.
Dave
Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.nuthinbutnews.com