positioning maths

I have 3 light sources on the ceiling that form an equilateral triangle. I'm on the floor looking at them with some kind of high res device so I have
rather accurate x-y (angles) coordinates for these 3 points (0.01 rms). From this, I want to precisely compute my position and my orientation.
Does anybody knows where I can find some usable formula or a way to solve this. Before I spend the night doing the math's ;-)
Thanks
Marc
BTW I'm still looking for people to contribute to: cl-typesetting (www.fractalconcept.com/ex.pdf) and cl-pdf (www.fractalconcept.com/asp/cl-pdf.html)
Hmm,
Sounds similar to the math used to calculate specular reflections from a flat surface in 3D. Check an advanced graphics text, that should get you close. It's fairly complex matrix math though.
DLC
: I have 3 light sources on the ceiling that form an equilateral triangle. : I'm on the floor looking at them with some kind of high res device so I have : rather accurate x-y (angles) coordinates for these 3 points (0.01? rms). From : this, I want to precisely compute my position and my orientation.
: Does anybody knows where I can find some usable formula or a way to solve : this. Before I spend the night doing the math's ;-)
: Thanks
: Marc
: BTW I'm still looking for people to contribute to: : cl-typesetting (www.fractalconcept.com/ex.pdf) : and cl-pdf (www.fractalconcept.com/asp/cl-pdf.html)
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation
See Law of Sines, particularly relating to h (which is height to ceiling in your example, and your only known distance)
See also Law of Cosines.
Given these, you can solve all triangulation problems.
--
Randy M. Dumse
www.newmicros.com