Re: Need source for "X-Beams" aluminum extrusions for ER 1robot (evolution.com)

Are you looking for the exact same extrusion profile of X-Beams, or are you just looking for more 1" aluminmum extrusions? If the latter, you can order a length from a local distributor (saves on UPS trucking costs) and cut it yourself. You'll save a ton of money if you're wanting a variety of stock. Assuming a price of .25/inch, a 4" piece is a dollar, versus $2.52 that Evolution wants. After enough of these you'll be able to afford a cutoff saw to make your job easier. With an abrasive cutoff wheel, deburring would be minimal.

As far as I know, the plastic connectors (which few people seem to like) are exclusive to the X-Beams product. Makers of similar extrusions, like Bosch and 80/20, offer different connector designs that many designers prefer.

The company that owns X-Beams also owns Evolution. That company (Idealab!) is/was under several shareholder lawsuits, which I'm sure have been a distraction. It's not surprising X-Beams folded -- it was a niche market within a niche market. No doubt they wanted to concentrate on more profitable ventures.

-- Gord>

Hello. > > I have been looking for resources on the web (via google.com) to order more > "X-Beams" aluminum extrusions and connectors parts for my ER1 robot ( from >
). So far Evolution is the best source for the parts. The > "X-Beams" company/site is evidently out of business these days. > > I have found several places that are distributors for the same/similar > product, but they just direct me to a supplier where I have to order one 18 > feet long or something like that. I want them in shorter lengths such as > 6",12", 24", 36" as well as some of the plastic and metal connector parts. > > See
to see what I am > talking about.
Reply to
Gordon McComb

Thanks for the input, Gordon! Good idea about getting a length of it and just cutting ... I'd thought about it since I have a diamond blade I used on some kitchen tile here recently. And I can use my dremel to debur it I believe.

As far as connector hardware, I agree about the plastic pieces. What I really wanted in that line was cheaper "t-nuts" and even the other metal connectors.

I'll give this some consideration and maybe spend a few $$ in the near future.

Thanks again! P.S. I have both of your books and they are great! Good job!

Reply to
JCD