Reading material for newbie

Hi all,
I would appreicate if somebody can suggest me links that would be helpful for a newbie like me. I was looking for information that
explains basic definitions, evolution of robotics, various major area of research.
Currently, I am studying legged robots, more on the controllers, algorithms.
Thank you.
Most books are only going to cover these subjects topically -- a page or so. So I think your best bet is to go to Google.com and browse, then you can home in on printed material. A good library will have plenty to choose from.
A good place to start on Google is this top-page directory:
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Artificial_Intelligence/Robotics /
(I see one of the first links is to the 9 year old FAQ from Carnegie Mellon. You can skip it. You can start with John Piccirillo's mini-faq, available at acroname.com, among other places: http://www.acroname.com/robotics/info/mini_faq.html.)
Finally, for legged robots, there's MIT's leg laboratory: http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/leglab /.
-- Gordon Robots for Less at Budget Robotics: http://www.budgetrobotics.com/ Author: Robot Builder's Sourcebook & Robot Builder's Bonanza
Neelam wrote:

Thank for your response. I was of great help.