Roboscout problems :-(

Hi,
A friend of mine (who won her robotscout in a contest), gave me her roboscout, but it no longer works. It no longer charges and the back
charging lights are never on. Does anyone know what might be the problem with it? I suspect the batteries are dead, but it is a HUGE undertaking to replace them as it is buried deep in the robot. I want to be sure it is definitely the batteries before I start taking it apart. Where can I get a replacement battery if it is the battery?
Thanks,
Ram