small angle/rotary encoder ?

I'm looking for a small angle (or rotary) encoder, I would like to have the following specs:
- (absoluut) angle over minimal 300 degrees
- diameter < 20 mm - thickness < 10 mm - accuracy +/- 2 degrees - small quantities (10 .. 100)
Any ideas ?
Stef Mientki
The smallest absolute encoder I can find is 32mm X 32mm, 9 bit, gray Scale / natural binary. Too big? Jay
--
.
"I'm pullin' for you; we're all in this together", Red Green
happyhobit wrote:

well I could live with that, can you give me the type ? thanks, Stef 9 bit, gray Scale /

http://www.photocraftencoders.com/SR12.htm
Jay
--
.
"I'm pullin' for you; we're all in this together", Red Green
happyhobit wrote:

thanks Jay, but it's much to "thick" or "heigh", >8 mm ;-( Stef

Did you try looking at the Mouser Website or Digikey. They have 1000'sof components and very cheap any size shape smell and color

With that accuracy you can use a potentiometer. Vishay has some. Don't look under potentiometers, but at this location:
http://www.vishay.com/resistors-variable/motion-transducers /
Maybe model 140-3-???? (continous rotation) is useable. Lifetime 500000 revolutions, not too impressive.
There are others, but your space is really tight.
--
Thanks,
Frank Bemelman
Frank Bemelman wrote:

Thanks Frank, very nice site, I've bookmarked it, but indeed all potmeters have too much height ;-( Stef

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:22:23 +0200, Stef Mientki

Absolute might be tough. US Digital has some relative encoders that are only about 11.4 mm thick and 21 mm diameter. http://www.usdigital.com/products/e4/
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Relative? Sorry but it's Absolute or Incremental.
Jay
Rich Webb wrote:

Thanks, that's indeed almost within my limits. Stef

Are you looking for an absoluut (absolute) or incremental encoder?
For what application?
If all you're looking for is a digital panel encoder than Grayhill, Panasonic, Tasoku, CTS, Clarostat and Bourns all make products that would do what you want.
What do you want?
Jay

happyhobit wrote:

the best would an "absolute", but I can live with incremental.

Goniometer, for measuring the angle of human joints, like the finger. The totalsize of this thing should be in the order of a pocket knife.

Most of them are potmeters, which have far too much height.

Well the E4 of US digital looks quiet suitable, a little bit smaller would even be nicer ;-)
Stef

Stef Mientki wrote:

Just thought I'd check to see if you knew about other methods of doing this which are potentially very small - fiber optics and flex sensors.
Mitch Berkson
Does all the encoding have to be inside that package? A good quality pot and a(an?) SMT ADC might work.
Good Luck! Rich